Looking for inexpensive J-knives (petty) to be gifted to relatives/friends

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

icanhaschzbrgr

ill-Known Member
Reaction score
As the subject states, I'm looking for inexpensive pettys that I can rehandle and gift to relatives.
Ideally I'm looking for 150-180mm stainless petty for less then 50$. Both wa and yo handles would suit me. Ideally I'd like to ship them from Japan, cause it's much cheaper and faster then US/Canada/Europe. So probably would end up ordering from JCK or Ebay/Rakuten.

Half year ago I've bought Tanaka 150mm damascus petty on ebay from 330mate. I'm still using it and consider to be a great value for a 50$ knife. Was going to order 2-3 of those but they aren't available on ebay anymore :(

Right now I think I'll get Fujiwara FKM and Kanetsugu Pro-M from JCK. Both 150mm and cost around 50$. But those are "back up" options for me, in case I couldn't find anything more interesting.

Pretty similar thread by Stefan http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php/10658-Affordable-VG-10-blades-for-rehandling also offered Tojiros. Are they any better then Fujiwara FKM or Kanetsugu Pro-M?

Maybe someone here could help me find Shigeki Tanaka contacts? I'd love to order few blades without handles directly from him, if possible.

check out tanaka ginsanko as well.

the tanaka damascus in blue steel is quite reactive according to most people on here.

Back