Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Carter Gyutos

Quote Originally Posted by RRLOVER View Post
    They look pretty nice for 450$,good score Scott. All this carter talk is making me want to use mine
    I have to get in a gear then. I need about another week for oven to arrive.

M

"All beauty that has no foundation in use, soon grows distasteful and needs continuous replacement with something new." The Shakers' saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

True, for the price I got a couple very good workers. Which is what I intended. Just a shame, a little more time and these babies would be stellar.

Quote Originally Posted by Salty dog View Post
    True, for the price I got a couple very good workers. Which is what I intended. Just a shame, a little more time and these babies would be stellar.
    I refinished a Carter for Rick a while back. Because of the soft cladding, it is that difficult to do even by hand (as I did). Just be careful not to remove too much material so the maker's mark gets washed out.

M

"All beauty that has no foundation in use, soon grows distasteful and needs continuous replacement with something new." The Shakers' saying.

Marko, What did you use to refinish the knife? Carter leaves some hammer marks on most knives, so I'm guessing either steel wool or sand paper.

That was a clad knife, not hammer finish. I think I started with 240 to remove vertical scratches and then applied horizontal to 600 grit.
    For a hammer finish, you can still use sandpaper on the bevels (wrapped around blocks of wood) and non-woven abrasives pads or steel wood (never tried steel wool, actually) on the rest.

M

Carter's knives are tough to finish and make clean which is why I suspect that he doesn't do it himself.

Name:  photo(1).jpg
Views: 116
Size:  17.0 KB

here's mine. Shameless first pic of a knife on this forum with Canadian Whiskey plug. I'm a happy camper- its my dad's day gift.

Nice,

Is that a Stefan handle or did it come from Murray?

its from Murray - its the cktg special.

OK, no wonder I didn't know it existed.