Carter Gyutos

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Salty dog

Reaction score
Finally able to take photos. These are two knives from the same batch. Thoughts?

IMG_5017.jpg

IMG_5016.jpg

IMG_5014.jpg

IMG_5013.jpg

Where would you rank them, so far, for gyuto performance?

Murray has the geometry and blade shape down. He grinds like the good Japanese makers and the steel is good. I'd put the better one of the two in my top 5.

The cosmetic thing bugs me because they have so much cosmetic potential.

If I ever got one of those, I would take some belts and sandpaper to it and pretty it up. There is no excuse for the finish. Its like dating a supermodel that wears "mom" jeans.

I personally like the 'rustic' touches. Thats part of what it makes it a Carter. If you want perfect finishes get a Kramer or a Shigafusa.

Murray has the geometry and blade shape down. He grinds like the good Japanese makers and the steel is good. I'd put the better one of the two in my top 5.

The cosmetic thing bugs me because they have so much cosmetic potential.

Murray geometry is a shallow convex grind that that starts almost 2/3 from the edge. He forges his stock thin so the resulting knives are thin. The flat spot at the heel is about 1/4 of the length (normally it's 1/3 or more) and the profile gently curves up to the tip. Yes, finish can be better. It looks to me that he stops at 120grit and then either goes over it with a Scotch-Brite belt or buffs it. One or two finer grit belts after 120 would make quite an improvement. I don't think this has to do with a rustic appearance. It's all economics.

Grinding a knife with a similar geometry and profile is not that difficult. Devin's new gyutos feature very similar grind - shallow convex.

M

What do you think of the choice of White Steel (Hitachi #1?) vs. Aogami Super? How does the handle feel?

Cheers,

Jack

I'm a white one guy. The handles are comfortable despite being octogon. They are also more subtle in real life.

White 1 is scary. I just touched a white 1 up and it was almost too easy!

I got a suji during the sale and it arrived yesterday. I feel similarly to what marko and salty said. But I have a bit of a issue with the finishing, mine is likely a bit worse than theirs, and I understand Murray is focusing on making functional tools. But... on a price comparison point there are somethings that should be more highly finished

I was looking for a suji during the sale, but didn't see one.
Enjoy!

This is a bit off topic, but how does O1 compare to white 1 and 52100 (which I need to get my hands on, soon)?

I just got my Carter funayuki in a couple of days ago (205mm). Father's Day gift to myself. Today was the first day I had a chance to use it, and it has sort of thrown me a bit. Not only is is shorter, but the handle is so light. Outside of paring knives it is easily my lightest blade (119g). I can't wait to get my Stefan handle on it and balance it out a bit more to my liking. I do like the Hiro-like toothy patina against the laminate though. All it took was one lemon, some capers and a red onion and the patina came in no problem.

k.

They look pretty nice for 450$,good score Scott. All this carter talk is making me want to use mine:crying::crying:

They look pretty nice for 450$,good score Scott. All this carter talk is making me want to use mine:crying::crying:

I have to get in a gear then. I need about another week for oven to arrive.

M

True, for the price I got a couple very good workers. Which is what I intended. Just a shame, a little more time and these babies would be stellar.

True, for the price I got a couple very good workers. Which is what I intended. Just a shame, a little more time and these babies would be stellar.

I refinished a Carter for Rick a while back. Because of the soft cladding, it is that difficult to do even by hand (as I did). Just be careful not to remove too much material so the maker's mark gets washed out.

M

Marko, What did you use to refinish the knife? Carter leaves some hammer marks on most knives, so I'm guessing either steel wool or sand paper.

That was a clad knife, not hammer finish. I think I started with 240 to remove vertical scratches and then applied horizontal to 600 grit.
For a hammer finish, you can still use sandpaper on the bevels (wrapped around blocks of wood) and non-woven abrasives pads or steel wood (never tried steel wool, actually) on the rest.

M

Carter's knives are tough to finish and make clean which is why I suspect that he doesn't do it himself. :)

photo(1).jpg

here's mine. Shameless first pic of a knife on this forum with Canadian Whiskey plug. I'm a happy camper- its my dad's day gift.

Nice,

Is that a Stefan handle or did it come from Murray?

its from Murray - its the cktg special.

Back