Quantcast
Potential? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Potential?

Quote Originally Posted by Chef Niloc View Post
    What about all the old sab blanks that are out there, I have been wanting one my self. 100 year old carbon freshly ground with proper modern heat treat, sounds nice to me.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Carb...item2334629921
    I have a couple if you want one. They need heat treating. Belated x mas /congrats on new job.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrmnms View Post
    I have a couple if you want one. They need heat treating. Belated x mas /congrats on new job.
    Wow you have a hoard of vintage sab blanks, that rocks! I'd love one would be a fun project, think once it's ground I can just send it out to someplace like Texas knife making supplie for heat treat, that or I'll bet one of the guys here will be willing to do it.

Huw
    In order to make delicious food, you must eat delicious food. Jiro Ono

That is an awesome knife devin made with the blank. I'd love to have one if he could make it open heel.
    "A recipe has no soul. You as the cook must bring soul to the recipe." -Thomas Keller

What about all the old sab blanks that are out there, I have been wanting one my self. 100 year old carbon freshly ground with proper modern heat treat, sounds nice to me.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Carb...item2334629921
    Hundred years old with a full tang?? In these days they had a rat tail. Full tang has only become common in France after WW2. And of course the common story on today's carbon being recycled.

Quote Originally Posted by Benuser View Post
    Hundred years old with a full tang?? In these days they had a rat tail. Full tang has only become common in France after WW2. And of course the common story on today's carbon being recycled.
    The ebay add (and don't get me wrong I know these guys are known to sometimes stretch the truth) says they are from a factory that was closed and abandoned for 100 years??

Now for what I have read they didn't start using recycled steel really at all till the late 1950's to make knives?

Now for my own hypothesis (or just pulling out of my but) old iron doesn't patina the same way that recycled steel does? Recycled steel just turns darker shades of gray never truly gets that deep black patina? Again I base this statement on pure observation, having done no true research or reading into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Von blewitt View Post
    Thanks no I never saw it

Primble knives are just Ontario Old Hickorys with a private hardware distributor brand stamped on them. Would you give $30 for a rusty old Ontario?

No, but I paid twenty for one in good shape...
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

I've bought blanks from the ebay seller listed in the link. He's sold both rat tails and full bolstered/tanged blanks.
    I can't speak for accuracy on the age....or the story. Personally, I've heard different stories about these types of blanks over the years, most of which hinge on a warehouse find in the 80s, that dates them as a group to 1900 to 1950, with speculation the individual blanks vary in age within that range .... What I can add is that the seller was easy to deal with and the blanks were good quality. I had a great experience buying from him.

I picked up a few and have so far finished 3 parers from his stock (nogents) and I have a Chef's knife and some slicers (Wa conversion, on a few of them) waiting for me to finish them. I posted pictures of my parers in the workshop show your work forum a while back - if curious.

The thread here has gotten far from the original so don't want to hijack it further, but for anybody that wants to take on the project of working these old blanks - am happy to share my experience - pro and con.

The ebay add (and don't get me wrong I know these guys are known to sometimes stretch the truth) says they are from a factory that was closed and abandoned for 100 years?? Now for what I have read they didn't start using recycled steel really at all till the late 1950's to make knives?
    Now for my own hypothesis (or just pulling out of my but) old iron doesn't patina the same way that recycled steel does? Recycled steel just turns darker shades of gray never truly gets that deep black patina? Again I base this statement on pure observation, having done no true research or reading into it.

+ Reply to Thread