Potential?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Naw, check out how deep that rust is near the tip. Could be a Suji...................
not much more.

Dave as you know I restore old carbons,look real close at the pictures for 100 yr. old carving sets.That one looks like tooo much pitting not worth it.:)

Picture 5 shows some scary pitting-looks like it has almost eaten through the blade.

I remember Eamon taking on a project like this once and having to scrap it after a bunch of work. I definitely would not attempt it myself.

I have one of these Primbles, in much better condition. They are very similar to Forgecraft, albeit a touch thicker behind the edge. The handle, although only a partial tang, has a really cool shape. The only bad thing about them is once the handle is replaced it's Primble identity is lost, as the etching on the blade is super light, and won't last through even a light polish, let alone thinning....

Cool history, though.

So many better conditioned project knives available for the effort involved.

I have a couple if you want one. They need heat treating. Belated x mas /congrats on new job.

Wow you have a hoard of vintage sab blanks, that rocks! I'd love one would be a fun project, think once it's ground I can just send it out to someplace like Texas knife making supplie for heat treat, that or I'll bet one of the guys here will be willing to do it.

That is an awesome knife devin made with the blank. I'd love to have one if he could make it open heel.

Hundred years old with a full tang?? In these days they had a rat tail. Full tang has only become common in France after WW2. And of course the common story on today's carbon being recycled.

The ebay add (and don't get me wrong I know these guys are known to sometimes stretch the truth) says they are from a factory that was closed and abandoned for 100 years??

Now for what I have read they didn't start using recycled steel really at all till the late 1950's to make knives?

Now for my own hypothesis (or just pulling out of my but) old iron doesn't patina the same way that recycled steel does? Recycled steel just turns darker shades of gray never truly gets that deep black patina? Again I base this statement on pure observation, having done no true research or reading into it.

I've bought blanks from the ebay seller listed in the link. He's sold both rat tails and full bolstered/tanged blanks.
I can't speak for accuracy on the age....or the story. Personally, I've heard different stories about these types of blanks over the years, most of which hinge on a warehouse find in the 80s, that dates them as a group to 1900 to 1950, with speculation the individual blanks vary in age within that range .... What I can add is that the seller was easy to deal with and the blanks were good quality. I had a great experience buying from him.

I picked up a few and have so far finished 3 parers from his stock (nogents) and I have a Chef's knife and some slicers (Wa conversion, on a few of them) waiting for me to finish them. I posted pictures of my parers in the workshop show your work forum a while back - if curious.

The thread here has gotten far from the original so don't want to hijack it further, but for anybody that wants to take on the project of working these old blanks - am happy to share my experience - pro and con.

The ebay add (and don't get me wrong I know these guys are known to sometimes stretch the truth) says they are from a factory that was closed and abandoned for 100 years?? Now for what I have read they didn't start using recycled steel really at all till the late 1950's to make knives?
Now for my own hypothesis (or just pulling out of my but) old iron doesn't patina the same way that recycled steel does? Recycled steel just turns darker shades of gray never truly gets that deep black patina? Again I base this statement on pure observation, having done no true research or reading into it.

So what's the deal with primble knives? Having only gotten into knives recently and therefore all focused on Japanese, my knowledge bank is empty on this.

I only ask because whilst at my uncles house I was looking for a knife and there was a whole draw of these, probably 10-12 knives.

Thought they must have some appeal as were in the UK.

Back