What to buy in Japan

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I am going to be in Kyoto and Tokyo and Hong Kong and I wondered what sort of things I can buy that I couldn't get just as easily here.

For example, am not too interested in JNats but are their synthetic stones that are awfully hard to get or overpriced in the US but easy reasonable in Japan?

As far as knives go, I can't imagine there is stuff routinely available in Japan that I couldn't get here but I was planning on going to CCK in Hong Kong and going a wee bit crazy for example getting a bunch of CCK cleavers to give away as presents as I assume they are dirt cheap at the store in Hong Kong as well as getting some other more oddball CCK ones for me.

Any ideas as to what to buy or places to visit greatly appreciated!

TIA

Personally i would have to visit both the Masamoto Tsukiji ( http://www.vodkitchen.com/masamoto-tsukiji-knives/ details about and how to get there...) and the Masamoto Sohonten stores... I don't think you will pay much less for synthetics over there. In terms of 'hard to get items' - maybe Tenugui's? (Japanese towel/banner/headbands) nice ones are hard to find outside of Japan.
CCK would interesting! I think i would have spent enough money in Tokyo alone by that stage...
Take lots of photos too...

Hope you have a safe and fun trip!

i found none of the knives and accessories were any cheaper there. just enjoy the incredible food.

Masamoto Tsukiji looks insanely cool and of course I was going to Tsukiji - any ideas for knife brands to get there??? Do they take credit cards or should I bring lots and lots of yen :- )

Masamoto Tsukiji looks insanely cool and of course I was going to Tsukiji - any ideas for knife brands to get there??? Do they take credit cards or should I bring lots and lots of yen :- )

Masamoto is cash only iirc.

Other Tsukiji shops include Sugimoto, Aritsugu (Tsukiji, home of the A-type, different to Aritsugu Kyuto) and Azuma Minamoto. Don't see much from AMM outside of Japan, might find an interesting piece there.

i found none of the knives and accessories were any cheaper there.

Not true. You can do much better than US prices (I'm assuming that's where you are). However, it'd take a bit of know-how to take advantage, as visiting the usual places won't present you with any amazing deals, maybe just a good experience.

Does anyone know where to get those really high end artificial cutting boards like hi soft or asahi in tokyo?? Seems to me because of the weight they might be a lot cheaper in Japan??

Masamoto is cash only iirc.

Other Tsukiji shops include Sugimoto, Aritsugu (Tsukiji, home of the A-type, different to Aritsugu Kyuto) and Azuma Minamoto. Don't see much from AMM outside of Japan, might find an interesting piece there.

Kyoto, ffs.

Does anyone know where to get those really high end artificial cutting boards like hi soft or asahi in tokyo?? Seems to me because of the weight they might be a lot cheaper in Japan??

Best deals likely to be if you order on the internet and have it delivered to your hotel. If not, just find large cookery shops.

I found prices to be somewhat cheaper overall, with some good deals to be found if you know where to look. Tsukiji shops don't take cards with the exception of aritsugu (don't know about the nenohi shop at tsukiji, it wasn't open when I was there last November, but they probably don't take cards either). Some of the shops in kappabashi have decent selections, and will take cards, but going to the specific brand shops is more fun.

Best to just bring yen.

Back