Quantcast
Snow white developing loads of cracks
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snow white developing loads of cracks

Snow white developing loads of cracks

Relatively new Jyunpaku < 1 yr. is show lots of cracking, Have treated it with kid gloves
    no long soaks, no hot or cold conditions & no drops!
    is it total junk now?

I stopped carrying this stone because of this problem. Is it trash? No, it's just crazed, but it can lead to cracking in the sense that pieces could come loose. I hope you bought the based version, if not don't hesitate to mount it up before it breaks.

my chosera 10k has done this but a lot less than in you picture and I don't soak it for more than 5 minutes. I don't even soak it anymore I just dip it in and out. its pretty annoying considering that I paid over 200 for the stone.

That happened to my Arashiyama many moons ago, and it's still in one piece, even after dozens of soaks and repeated drying.
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by jai View Post
    my chosera 10k has done this but a lot less than in you picture and I don't soak it for more than 5 minutes. I don't even soak it anymore I just dip it in and out. its pretty annoying considering that I paid over 200 for the stone.

The Chosera 10k will break in half following this so I strongly advise you to mount it before that happens.

Choseras are not any more prone to cracking than other stones, and the crazing they acquire does NOT lead to cracking.

The stones that are prone to cracking are the ultra-thirsty stones like the synthetic aotos, where water can get deep into the stone. Choseras are very hard, very dense, and do not soak up a lot of water. Because of their hardness, choseras are used a lot by woodworkers for their chisels. Among this group of people, the chosera 10k is revered as one of the best stones ever made.

Time to put this bit of internet mythology to rest.

Quote Originally Posted by cord_steele View Post
    Choseras are not any more prone to cracking than other stones, and the crazing they acquire does NOT lead to cracking.

The stones that are prone to cracking are the ultra-thirsty stones like the synthetic aotos, where water can get deep into the stone. Choseras are very hard, very dense, and do not soak up a lot of water. Because of their hardness, choseras are used a lot by woodworkers for their chisels. Among this group of people, the chosera 10k is revered as one of the best stones ever made.

Time to put this bit of internet mythology to rest.

As someone who used to retail Chosera stones I can assure you that I've heard of way too many stories of these stones cracking in half. My own 5k broke across the middle. The most prevalent is the 5k followed by the 10k. Sorry but this is no myth.

PS - cord_steele, you're banned again (for the 5th time), give it up already

I would say mounting it just to play it safe is sound advice...
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

My 5k Chosera have same condition like that,kind of annoying ......

Had some cabinet grade 3/4" ply, so I cut to the same dimensions as the stone & epoxied & clamped over night.

had an off the wall idea, have some Tite-Bond III wood working glue. It is water soluble, so I was thinking about
    mixing a couple of tablespoons worth with a cup of warm water & brushing multiple coats onto the stone letting it soak in
    to help stabilize the matrix.

I don't think it should adversely affect the stones capacity to cut metal too much.

What do you guy's think?