Quantcast
Wide bevel sharpening - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wide bevel sharpening

Thanks all for the advice!

mkriggen, I've already watched Jon's videos many, many times

ive seen very matured sushi chefs ruin shinogi lines and it is not a hard thing to do. while sharpening double bevel knives with shinogis, it seems you have to be extremely delicate on the edge.
    "A recipe has no soul. You as the cook must bring soul to the recipe." -Thomas Keller

Make sure your stones are flat, try not to use stones that produce alot of Mud.

If you want to maintain the geometry (thinning), you will need to place pressure on/ above the shinogi, it's just a matter of keeping the line straight with even pressure and grinding, if you wobble, you will break the line. If its a faintish line to begin with, I find a magic marker can help.
    Huw
    In order to make delicious food, you must eat delicious food. Jiro Ono

Quote Originally Posted by perneto View Post
    What do you mean by changing the direction exactly?
    By changing direction you can see the fine scratches from the stone cross each other. If your strokes are always in the same direction when you turn the blade over to see progress you cannot tell where you are removing metal.

Quote Originally Posted by mkriggen View Post
    Oh, and Jon at JKI has several excellent sharpening videos on youtube.
    jon seems to use mostly japanese knives. can the same techniques shown in his videos be applied to western style gyutos as well?

Sponsors
    yup... the angles will be different and the bolster is an issue you will have to deal with, but knife sharpening is still knife sharpening at the end of the day

also, softer steels wont respond the same way to higher grit finishes, and deburring may be a bit more difficult depending on the steel

Quote Originally Posted by JBroida View Post
    yup... the angles will be different and the bolster is an issue you will have to deal with, but knife sharpening is still knife sharpening at the end of the day

also, softer steels wont respond the same way to higher grit finishes, and deburring may be a bit more difficult depending on the steel
    awesome. ill be sharpening an AS Hiro so I think the response should be similar.

what is the bolster? maybe i should watch your videos

Sponsors
    hiro AS is still a japanese knife... i'm sorry, but i misread your previous post and thought you were asking about western chefs knives (like whustof)... my bad. Same technique for a wa-gyuto works for a gyuto.

and the bolster i was referring to is the huge metal chunk near the heel of german/french/american chefs knives

your incredible response time made up for any misunderstanding

+ Reply to Thread