Has anyone used Arizona Walnut?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burl Source

Weird Wood Pusher
Reaction score
One of my knife maker customers told me about a guy who has some old Arizona Walnut.
At first I thought maybe it was just a black walnut tree grown in Arizona. But I did a little checking and found out that it is actually a different species of Walnut, Junglans Major that grows in the SW US down into Mexico.

I have not seen the wood in person yet but my customer sent me a scan of a couple small pieces he got from the guy with the wood.
azw_zps3f8084d6.jpg

To me the texture looks a lot like Mesquite. I am guessing that it is a fairly dense wood from the areas where it grows.

Have any of you used Arizona Walnut?
I like the look but sometimes I like stuff that nobody else likes. So any input is appreciated.
I will be going out early in the week to see the wood in person.
Figured I had better see what you all think before I spend several hundred dollars on more wood.

I have lived all over Arizona, New Mexico and parts of Northern Mexico and have never once seen a walnut tree, let alone a tree that had anything that looked like walnuts on it. I have walked thousands of miles on wilderness trails and nothing. You learn something new everyday. Thanks, Mark. It's beautiful wood. I imagine coming from the desert it is a fairly oily wood.

I'd definitely buy a piece if I could afford it, looks nice.

It readly grows in the lower parts around Sells, Sasabe , Sedona and Nogales areas. and yes they have walnuts on them too man they are good .

Sam

It readly grows in the lower parts around Sells, Sasabe , Sedona and Nogales areas. and yes they have walnuts on them too man they are good .

Sam
Hey, you know what? I may have seen them in Oak creek near Sedona. Thanks for jogging the memory.

I think the ones in the city of phoenix are mostly imported but I have for sure seen them around. My grandparents had one in their backyard when I was growing up. But I hate walnuts and that was the end of it for me.

That wood looks nice to me but I dont think it is nearly on the same level as some of the woods I have been seeing from you. I would say its a lower end in beauty but the thing is its it is the eye of the beholder that really matters.

Great stuff lately Mark. Keep up the search!

Yeah I would be happy to take a block or two as well

I called yesterday to set a time to go see the wood.
Left a message. Later his wife called back and told me he hurt his back and was in bed on pain meds.
She told me to check back next week when he is back on his feet.

Guess I will have to be patient.
I was all ready to go get the wood and start cutting today.

But a new batch of wood arrived from K&G today so I will keep busy for a day or two.

I was able to connect with the guy who has the AZ Walnut today.
Turns out he is an old guy in his late 80s or early 90s. (I didn't ask)
He makes beautiful furniture. Old style with lots of hand carved accents.
I always like to get the story behind the wood when it is old stuff.
His father was a fine woodworker who had the stumps that these slabs were cut from.
He had collected them years before he passed away. When he died the wood and tools went to the fellow I got these slabs from.
They were living in Arizona at the time. A number of years went by before they moved up here in the late 70s.
He said the wood has been stored indoors in his heated workshop the whole time.

When I lifted the slabs they felt about twice as heavy as I expected. Cutting was harder than any walnut I have ever cut.
When sanded the color is similar to amber colored Koa. I have never seen Walnut this color before.
I am cutting and sanding some blocks now. Looks like it will be some pretty wood.
The lines you see going across the slabs is curly figure. There are also some small areas with some burl.
This photo shows the wood with a rough surface and a layer of dust.
azw001_zps088ecffc.jpg

Wow. That wood looks like it could make some BEAUTIFUL handles.

Back