Quantcast
Respect the classics, man! - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Respect the classics, man!

I'm thinking
    Available handles- [url]http://s64.photobucket.com/user/mkriggen/library/Available20handles[/url]

Rule #1- Don't sweat the small s%&t, rule #2- It's ALL small s%&t
    Mikey

Quote Originally Posted by mkriggen View Post
    I'm thinking
    yeah...mkriggen beat me to it.

watanabe pro, takeda classic. two totally different knives both totally awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by panda View Post
    watanabe pro, takeda classic. two totally different knives both totally awesome.
    In and back on topic- thanks

So why the watanabe and takeda?

I still need to pick up a Watanabe pro. Seems like it'd be right up my alley from what I've heard. Sorry for going a bit off topic btw...
    The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made out of atoms it might find useful for something else. - Eliezer Yudkowsky

wat is a true workhorse in every sense of the word (basically a cleaver in gyuto shape, perfect for bulk prep) and his blue steel has the greatest retention, pretty spectacular stuff. takeda has a very unique geometry that's uncannily good cutter, plus AS steel is my favorite for being so toothy.

im still not sure how or watanabe fell out of favor with many of us forum people but its definitely classic and a joy to use. the ultimate heavy duty carbon workhorse.

sorry about the thread jacking. I wish that I could say my favorite classic was my forgecraft. That is why I started commenting on it. I have just recently recieved that forum favorite the watanabe sakimaru 270mm takohiki with the stefan handle and marko saya. It is an absolute beauty and will stay with me forever. Having a small amount of work from marko that is so beautiful makes me want to experience one of his gyutos more than ever. Hes a true craftsman.

I also have the same feeling about those old takedas. They are insanely badass cutters and the giant bevel makes them one of my all time favorites!
    "A recipe has no soul. You as the cook must bring soul to the recipe." -Thomas Keller

Quote Originally Posted by labor of love View Post
    im still not sure how or watanabe fell out of favor with many of us forum people but its definitely classic and a joy to use. the ultimate heavy duty carbon workhorse.

It's because he's been known as a maker for getting on 10 years - not esoteric enough any more.

In the same category, Yoshikane SKD - Wicked distal taper, excellent geometry and tough steel that takes a very aggressive edge.

Circa 1970's thin Masamoto Gyuto mystery carbon.Fav. cleaver Suien virgin carbon