Respect the classics, man!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hbeernink

Reaction score
There are a lot of great knives out there, many of which I won't likely get to try, and a lot of opinions of what makes a great knife. I'd love to hear everyone's thoughts on which are the true 'classics' that everyone should really try at some point. These are the ones that really highlight a particular profile, steel, or some other characteristic. I've got a bunch that I could call out, but will pick two that stand out to me:

Wustohf classic (old style, pre 1990) 26cm chef's. This was in my kit when I worked the line- 26cm chefs, 20cm slicer, 14cm boner, and a few cheapie parers. The wusthof were the iconic European style knife- I liked 'em better than the henckels equivalent at the time, I think the wusthof had a flatter profile back then (I think....) although a lot of the guys were using henckels and felt they were superior, for me the wusthof shape IS the western knife that set the standard in continental kitchens of the day. It's a must try simply as a reference point. I still have my original kit from back in the day, but now I use 'em to cut garlic off the garlic press, open plastic seals on bottles of stuff, and cut open sous-vide bags. Still, as I teach my sons to cook they're learning on these exact same knives- mostly as many of the culinary schools still recommend wusthof/henckels, but also for the legacy and provenance.

Masamoto KS 240 gyuto - one of my first japanese knives, and an iconic blade that opened my eyes to the possibilities of a real knife. It was nothing but sharpness, thinness, lightweight- and the feel of a wa handle for me was pure liberation. I discovered japanese knives just as I was leaving the culinary profession, so used the 240 KS only briefly in the restaurant and for a couple of catering gigs, but oh man! While other knives have taken its place as my favorite, the KS was (and still is) a remarkable example of versatility and sexiness on the line. The profile is unique and very utilitarian- it does everything fairly well,but some would say excels at nothing. I don't disagree, and considering the modest price for a slightly used KS, that's why it's a classic.

So I'm curious to hear your 'classics'- sure we all know and love the boutique and high-end blades out there, but what are the day-to-day knives that really stand for something?

A good late 50's early 60's Forgecraft. Still one of my fave blade profiles. Takes an easy edge, great feedback. Might take a bit thinning and tweakage to get the best performance, but worth the effort. Throw a wa handle on it and it feels even better. Edge retention isn't anything special, but makes up for it in joy of usage:D Typically run 50 or less on the bay. Throw in a custom handle, and you've got one of the best $200 knives out there.

i need help thinning my forgecraft. i cant get it into a thin enough state so that it works and my 400 stone is worn out to less than a millimeter thick.

i need help thinning my forgecraft. i cant get it into a thin enough state so that it works and my 400 stone is worn out to less than a millimeter thick.

know anybody with a belt grinder?

no, i was thinking of maybe don or dt. i have no idea who would help me with it though. i really want the knife to work great and i dont have the means.

id have to buy two i think to get this one to where it needs to be. lol id like the idea of the belt grinder better

I still need to pick up a Watanabe pro. Seems like it'd be right up my alley from what I've heard. Sorry for going a bit off topic btw...

wat is a true workhorse in every sense of the word (basically a cleaver in gyuto shape, perfect for bulk prep) and his blue steel has the greatest retention, pretty spectacular stuff. takeda has a very unique geometry that's uncannily good cutter, plus AS steel is my favorite for being so toothy.

im still not sure how or watanabe fell out of favor with many of us forum people but its definitely classic and a joy to use. the ultimate heavy duty carbon workhorse.

sorry about the thread jacking. I wish that I could say my favorite classic was my forgecraft. That is why I started commenting on it. I have just recently recieved that forum favorite the watanabe sakimaru 270mm takohiki with the stefan handle and marko saya. It is an absolute beauty and will stay with me forever. Having a small amount of work from marko that is so beautiful makes me want to experience one of his gyutos more than ever. Hes a true craftsman.

I also have the same feeling about those old takedas. They are insanely badass cutters and the giant bevel makes them one of my all time favorites!

im still not sure how or watanabe fell out of favor with many of us forum people but its definitely classic and a joy to use. the ultimate heavy duty carbon workhorse.

It's because he's been known as a maker for getting on 10 years - not esoteric enough any more.

In the same category, Yoshikane SKD - Wicked distal taper, excellent geometry and tough steel that takes a very aggressive edge.

Circa 1970's thin Masamoto Gyuto mystery carbon.Fav. cleaver Suien virgin carbon

I would have to agree on the yoshikane skd steel. It was MY first eye opener knife and after 7 or 8 years and some light thinning it's still bangin out prep.

I would say that takeda has to be a classic. I have one of those also and it's amazing what he can do with AS. And his gyuto profiles are so different I think you should try it just for originality.

I think in the future the DT ITK could be a classic. (It's current age since original production isn't old enough to be a classic) but I think what the ITK could represent in the future and what Devin did with making really high end "mid tech" knives could make that knife a classic in short time. So many other makers have tried to follow that rout since his success.

I was thinking the suisin inox honyaki as well - I've never used one, but the hybrid handle and (from what I've heard) great steel and grind makes it sound like a solid all arounder.

takeda for sure - really has a unique place

The original Takeda gyuto profile was unique (think giant santoku), ironically pressure on him to make a more conventional, less flat-profiled knife resulted in the new breed of Takedas. Now flat profile is all the rage.

Other "classics"? - Ichimonji TKC and the Ikkanshi Tadatsuna Inox.

Any of the Henckel 102 series. Oldies. Carbon. Awesome. If you can find one-buy it!

It's because he's been known as a maker for getting on 10 years - not esoteric enough any more.

In the same category, Yoshikane SKD - Wicked distal taper, excellent geometry and tough steel that takes a very aggressive edge.

Like Yoshikane, it's my understanding that many knives with the Watanabe name are no longer actually made by the originator, and are not the same as they used to be. I can't say one way or another whether this is true, but I can say that the recent Yoshis I've seen aren't anywhere as good as the Yoshis from a few years ago that I've handled or owned. They used to be thin at the edge. Maybe some still are.

Like Yoshikane, it's my understanding that many knives with the Watanabe name are no longer actually made by the originator, and are not the same as they used to be. I can't say one way or another whether this is true, but I can say that the recent Yoshis I've seen aren't anywhere as good as the Yoshis from a few years ago that I've handled or owned. They used to be thin at the edge. Maybe some still are.
watanabes definitely arent very thin behind the edge, but i dont think theyre intended to be. there is plenty of steel to work with OOTB which i like because i can tweak it to my own tastes. the one i own was made within the last year, and i will say the profile is what makes it feel like a classic knife. infact im willing to bet the wat profile influenced alot of other makers over the years too. the edge retention is pretty insane too. beats anything else carbon ive used, including some AS knives. i can only imagine how insanely nice wats made several years ago are.

I've never seen a Watanabe, only the Yoshikanes, which used to be very thin behind the edge.

Yoshis have changed, but not all of them. But, yes, Edipis is 100% bang on. Try an Itinomonn, if you want to know what the classic Yoshi was all about.

Classics? Murray Carter sub 180mm SFGZ Funayuki, Nogent Parer, Tall Takeda gyuto.

Any of the Henckel 102 series. Oldies. Carbon. Awesome. If you can find one-buy it!

hey, ass hat, don't give them any ideas. look what happened with forgecrafts. Now I can't afford my favorite knife. You keep giving away my secrets and I won't be able to afford them either.

Back