Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a new knife....

Looking for a new knife....

KNIFE TYPE
    Chef Knife

Are you right or left handed?
    Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
    Japanese

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
    240mm

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
    yes

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
    $400-$600

KNIFE USE
    At home - slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, filleting fish, trimming meats

What knife, if any, are you replacing?

240mm J.A. henkles twin cermax

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)

Rock, slice, draw

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
    Wood

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
    No, i have them sharpened by a professional

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)
    yes

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)
    yes

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS

I was happy with the twin cermax, but i'd like an upgrade... my current twin cermax has just had super heavy use and needs to be retired. id get another but they dont seem to be very available anymore. and since im in the market i want to get a really good knife.

Quote Originally Posted by Timthebeaver View Post
    thanks... do you own either? any specific reasons on the reccomendation?

With your budget, I would consider suisin inox honyaki wa gyuto and get couple of sharpening stones.

You mention that you have your knives sharpened professionally. Is your sharpener familiar with hand sharpening Japanese knives? Might be something to consider. The Gesshins recommended above are an example of knive where you are not going to go wrong in terms of workmanship and overall quality. That being said they may or may not work well for you. Many people find their favourites through trial and error. If you don't like the Gesshin it'll resell in a snap though. Good luck.

thanks. any other recommendations. The gesshins are def. posibilities. id love a few more recommendations though, as im really not in love with the handles(i know, stupid picky)

Quote Originally Posted by jamaster14 View Post
    thanks. any other recommendations. The gesshins are def. posibilities. id love a few more recommendations though, as im really not in love with the handles(i know, stupid picky)
    I don't think you're "picky", but what don't you like about the handles? Perhaps I should ask what are you looking for? Jon can put an ichii or burnt chestnut handle on if that's what you want, or you can have one of the forum handlemeisters make one for you if you want something really eye-catching.

Knife Rehandling Service: http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/knife-rehandling

Stefan Keller Handles: http://www.skeller.info/handles/test/

Mike Henry Handles: http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/fo...nd-Conversions
    “I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.”

get a carter gyuto but dont try to learn to sharpen with it!

DT itk, Ealy or a Harner through a WTB would get you a killer stainless custom in that price range, and you might have enough left for a stone....
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

What about an HHH feather damascus gyuto? Awesome knife and it fits your budget.