Looking for a new knife....

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamaster14

Reaction score

KNIFE TYPE
Chef Knife

Are you right or left handed?
Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
Japanese

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
240mm

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
yes

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
$400-$600

KNIFE USE
At home - slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, filleting fish, trimming meats

What knife, if any, are you replacing?

240mm J.A. henkles twin cermax

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)

Rock, slice, draw

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Wood

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
No, i have them sharpened by a professional

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)
yes

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)
yes

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS

I was happy with the twin cermax, but i'd like an upgrade... my current twin cermax has just had super heavy use and needs to be retired. id get another but they dont seem to be very available anymore. and since im in the market i want to get a really good knife.

With your budget, I would consider suisin inox honyaki wa gyuto and get couple of sharpening stones.

You mention that you have your knives sharpened professionally. Is your sharpener familiar with hand sharpening Japanese knives? Might be something to consider. The Gesshins recommended above are an example of knive where you are not going to go wrong in terms of workmanship and overall quality. That being said they may or may not work well for you. Many people find their favourites through trial and error. If you don't like the Gesshin it'll resell in a snap though. Good luck.

thanks. any other recommendations. The gesshins are def. posibilities. id love a few more recommendations though, as im really not in love with the handles(i know, stupid picky)

thanks. any other recommendations. The gesshins are def. posibilities. id love a few more recommendations though, as im really not in love with the handles(i know, stupid picky)

I don't think you're "picky", but what don't you like about the handles? Perhaps I should ask what are you looking for? Jon can put an ichii or burnt chestnut handle on if that's what you want, or you can have one of the forum handlemeisters make one for you if you want something really eye-catching.

Knife Rehandling Service: http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/knife-rehandling

Stefan Keller Handles: http://www.skeller.info/handles/test/

Mike Henry Handles: http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/forumdisplay.php/98-Henry-Wa-Handles-and-Conversions

get a carter gyuto but dont try to learn to sharpen with it!

DT itk, Ealy or a Harner through a WTB would get you a killer stainless custom in that price range, and you might have enough left for a stone....

What about an HHH feather damascus gyuto? Awesome knife and it fits your budget.

That budget lets you get into some sweet knives. I would echo what a couple of others have suggested. I would get something from one of the super talented makers on the forum. Or pick a real nice cutter and get a slick custom handle put on by one of one of the talented guys here

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)
yes

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)
yes

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS

I was happy with the twin cermax, but I'd like an upgrade... My current twin cermax has just had super heavy use and needs to be retired. i'd get another but they don't seem to be very available anymore. And since I'm in the market I want to get a really good knife.

You say that you have an interest in learning to sharpen, and would like some sharpening gear? If I were to learn how to sharpen I would probably not dare to do it on a $400-$600 knife. Sharpening is fun really fun and you get more out of your knife. I sharpen more often than I would have sent to a pro sharpener, therefore I believe I get more fun out of my knifes.

My suggestion is that you get a less pricey piece and a few stones and just go nuts for a few months. Anything you buy in say the 150-200 range with some suggestions from the forum members is going to be a nice upgrade to your cermax. I believe its also nice to have a knife that you wont have to baby for those harder tasks like pineapples, rocks etc.

When you get the hang of it you would know more what you are in to and be more skilled at caring for your new high end kitchen lightsaber.

I don't think you're "picky", but what don't you like about the handles? Perhaps I should ask what are you looking for? Jon can put an ichii or burnt chestnut handle on if that's what you want, or you can have one of the forum handlemeisters make one for you if you want something really eye-catching.

Knife Rehandling Service: http://www.japaneseknifeimports.com/knife-rehandling

Stefan Keller Handles: http://www.skeller.info/handles/test/

Just a little to plain for my tastes...

thanks for the links. Certainly plenty to choose from. something like this is more up my alley:
http://www.skeller.info/handles/gallery/displayimage.php?album=7&pid=56#top_display_media

what is the typical cost for a handle like this + have it... "rehandled"?

DT itk, Ealy or a Harner through a WTB would get you a killer stainless custom in that price range, and you might have enough left for a stone....

Holy acronyms :)

can you dumb that down for me?

You say that you have an interest in learning to sharpen, and would like some sharpening gear? If I were to learn how to sharpen I would probably not dare to do it on a $400-$600 knife. Sharpening is fun really fun and you get more out of your knife. I sharpen more often than I would have sent to a pro sharpener, therefore I believe I get more fun out of my knifes.

My suggestion is that you get a less pricey piece and a few stones and just go nuts for a few months. Anything you buy in say the 150-200 range with some suggestions from the forum members is going to be a nice upgrade to your cermax. I believe its also nice to have a knife that you wont have to baby for those harder tasks like pineapples, rocks etc.

When you get the hang of it you would know more what you are in to and be more skilled at caring for your new high end kitchen lightsaber.

yeah, the knife im buying wouldnt be one i sharpened myself... i just awnsered the question cause it was on there.

That budget lets you get into some sweet knives. I would echo what a couple of others have suggested. I would get something from one of the super talented makers on the forum. Or pick a real nice cutter and get a slick custom handle put on by one of one of the talented guys here

any recommendations? any links to some of their work?

Just a little to plain for my tastes...

thanks for the links. Certainly plenty to choose from. something like this is more up my alley:
http://www.skeller.info/handles/gallery/displayimage.php?album=7&pid=56#top_display_media

what is the typical cost for a handle like this + have it... "rehandled"?

Mike Henry makes and installs wa-handles. Check out his work and prices in his sub-forum, or PM him.
http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/forumdisplay.php/98-Henry-Wa-Handles-and-Conversions

Stefan Keller makes, but does not install his handles. PM him for pricing.

Dave Martell has installed several handles for me. PM him for pricing and turnaround time.

Rick

IMHO, very nice choice! But then, I'm a bit biased. I've got two Heiji's in transit that should be here within 1-2 hours!

Thanks... I think i'm actually ordering directly through heiji myself, as it seems like the lesser wait between the two. If jon had one in stock id have purchased it already :)

let me know how you like your once you get them.

Back