Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Electro-Etching Maker's Name

What is the deepest you can etch with Personalizer Plus? Can it do .020"?

"All beauty that has no foundation in use, soon grows distasteful and needs continuous replacement with something new." The Shakers' saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

The Personalizer works great. It has two setting, etch and mark. One is AC and one is DC, can't remember which. Etch will get you down into the steel, as much a 20 thousands, from what I have been told. The mark setting will either just put a black mark on the surface or blacken your etched mark. For stencils, you go to Ernie Grospitch. He will sell you a sheet of them with up to 14 stencils for around $45. Unless you try to burn them up, each stencil will last you for at least 25-30 knives and longer if your mark is pretty bold. I gave up on stamping my blades almost three years ago and went with etching. I never looked back.

Thanks! PP is my next (and hopefully last) big purchase. Well, I am not counting belts, and other replacement supplies.
    Can one make own stencils?

"All beauty that has no foundation in use, soon grows distasteful and needs continuous replacement with something new." The Shakers' saying.

ou can buy a kit from etch-o-matic, and do your own. I bought one years ago, still using the origional stensils.

Feel free to visit my website, http://www.rodrigueknives.com
    Email pierre@rodrigueknives.com

You can do a lot of things yourself, but most of them I wouldn't recommend. A sloppy mark on even the best knife will detract from the look of the piece.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    Thanks! PP is my next (and hopefully last) big purchase. Well, I am not counting belts, and other replacement supplies.
    Can one make own stencils?

http://www.amazon.com/AC-Variable-Vo.../dp/B0002DVEZA

One of these would do anything the Personalizer could do and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Chef Niloc View Post
    http://www.amazon.com/AC-Variable-Vo.../dp/B0002DVEZA

One of these would do anything the Personalizer could do and more.
    Where do you get this rest? This is just a transformer.

M

http://www.usaknifemaker.com/etching...316775bca32fa1

All you need is the marker head 20-40$$, well pads and electrolyte ext but that's the cheap stuff. This setup will not save you much money over going with the personalizer but it's more powerful so it can make etch deeper and mark darker. It can be fine tuned and adjusted more so it can make cleaner marks. It can be used to revert rust back to steel or turn rust ( red rust) into black oxide, I do this on my old Beatty Cleavers I get on eBay. Can be used for tattoo guns ( if your into that ) or a number of other hand tools, makes D/C tools veritable speed by ( won't help with A/C tools). You can gold or silver plate things with it. Lots of useful stuff, the persanalizer is a great machine lots of people say so but this unit is made by a very reputable company. Can be fixed if ever needed to be ( don't know if the personalizer can be?)) and has a better warranty ( I think ?).
    As for stencils you can just buy some photo sensitive silk screen material ( used for printing) and some developer ( like for photographs). , can get it were you find the silk. I have the one from etch-o and was disappointed as it's just what I described above but comes with a 150 watt light bulb, the silk it thiner then what you can get on you own too. Or you could just go to a silk screen shop and ask them to shoot it for you. A lot of times these tee-shirt shops are run by young kids who will just do it for $20 bucks or som pot if the boss is not around (:

So why would this kit be worth $100+ more than a base model Personalizer?
    Quote Originally Posted by Chef Niloc View Post
    http://www.usaknifemaker.com/etching...316775bca32fa1

All you need is the marker head 20-40$$, well pads and electrolyte ext but that's the cheap stuff. This setup will not save you much money over going with the personalizer but it's more powerful so it can make etch deeper and mark darker. It can be fine tuned and adjusted more so it can make cleaner marks. It can be used to revert rust back to steel or turn rust ( red rust) into black oxide, I do this on my old Beatty Cleavers I get on eBay. Can be used for tattoo guns ( if your into that ) or a number of other hand tools, makes D/C tools veritable speed by ( won't help with A/C tools). You can gold or silver plate things with it. Lots of useful stuff, the persanalizer is a great machine lots of people say so but this unit is made by a very reputable company. Can be fixed if ever needed to be ( don't know if the personalizer can be?)) and has a better warranty ( I think ?).
    As for stencils you can just buy some photo sensitive silk screen material ( used for printing) and some developer ( like for photographs). , can get it were you find the silk. I have the one from etch-o and was disappointed as it's just what I described above but comes with a 150 watt light bulb, the silk it thiner then what you can get on you own too. Or you could just go to a silk screen shop and ask them to shoot it for you. A lot of times these tee-shirt shops are run by young kids who will just do it for $20 bucks or som pot if the boss is not around (: