Quantcast
Scimitar - A New Project - Page 5
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Scimitar - A New Project

Heat treated several of these, not am thinking about size of the handle (as Salty put it, man-hanlde). It's going to be an oversize handle, but I am not sure if I should still do coca-cola shape, or just rounded corners, western.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Marko

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Rounded western. A thumb knurl on top of the handle towards the choil would be helpful as well. Some cuts need the 'cocking a pistol' grip, to get more power IMO.
    The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made out of atoms it might find useful for something else. - Eliezer Yudkowsky

Quote Originally Posted by brainsausage View Post
    Rounded western. A thumb knurl on top of the handle towards the choil would be helpful as well. Some cuts need the 'cocking a pistol' grip, to get more power IMO.
    Do you have a picture of "thumb knurl"? Not sure what it is. Also, how thick should a good handle be? I have seen a couple that were about 3/4 thick. I was thinking making the handle closer to 1" thick or so.

The blades are 12-13" long.

M

Maybe knurl, wasn't the best terminology(haven't had my coffee yet), think thumb rest. My kits at work, so I'm not sure about thickness. But at least 1 inch.
    The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made out of atoms it might find useful for something else. - Eliezer Yudkowsky

I might start with a basic handle, and then work up adding elements like thumb rest. I haven't seen it on kitchen knives, so it is hard for me to visualize how it would look like. I think what you are referring to is a feature on folders. If it's on the blade side, I don't see why I can't do it, but I would need a little more input on it from the pros.

M

It's the best way I could think of describing it. One of the generic scimitars we get from the knife service at work has this on the handle. Which would be useful if the rest of the handle/knife didn't suck. It's basically just a slightly raised portion on top of the handle behind the choil. To get a long stroke, or power through some items you need to choke further back on the handle(hammer grip).

It would be very helpful if you could take a picture of that setup. If I have a visual reference, I could replicate it.

I prefer coco cola as during pull cuts it gives you the best grip, hand doesn't feel like it wants to slip off the end of the handle.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Now THAT is a knife! Wowza

There's a dimple on the top of some handles for the thumb. They're usually more pronounced on plastic handles. (Sorta like Dick "ergo" handles) Wood handles tend to be more subtle. You have to be aware some force is used in the handling of these knives, hence the "man handle". The thumb placement adds force. So a comfy place is nice but not mandatory. Although any handle should give a nod to the thumb.

IMO.

P.S. I say the same thing about the pinky on gyutos.