Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Scimitar - A New Project

Scimitar - A New Project

This has been on a back burner for a long time. This is a 11.75" prototype to get a feel of geometry and profile.

52100, S-grind. As with all my knives, the blade is ground to under .005" at the edge.

It will have a western handle in quilted maple with contrasting ebony front and end cap and brass tip.

The knife will be sent to a KKF pro user who has a good experience with scimitars for feedback and recommendations.

Eventually, it will be offered as a stock knife. 8" knife in a scimitar shape will also be offered in due time.

Thanks,

Marko

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140106_122740.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	48.8 KB 
ID:	21398

Name:	20140106_122747.jpg 
Views:	157 
Size:	39.4 KB 
ID:	21399

Name:	20140106_122824.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	44.1 KB 
ID:	21397

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Is this going to be in AEB-L?

This one in 52100, but I can make it in any steel, including AEB-L. I have a good amount of A2, and plan using that steel as well.

M

This could be my new grouper/red snapper whacker once it's finalized. 2014 is already looking expensive.

It's pretty thin at the edge, meant for cutting boneless proteins. Edge would need to be thickened if it is to come in contact with fish bones.

M

Western handle honesuki (single bevel) is the next project. I piggyback these on my regular workload to keep my sanity, i.e. to try new things.

M

Sign me up!

I use one every day at work. I've had some luck with vintage carbon from various makers off the bay

Um, my scimitars have intimate relations with bones all the time.

Thickening the edge (reprofiling, microbeveling) is pretty straight forward. Also, grinding thicker at the edge is not problem. This is a new type of knife for me, so I will need some feedback and guidance.