Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Scimitar - A New Project

this post offends me. i think of markos work as quite delicate and rediculously crafted to fit its need. is there a need for some giant sword like knife in a kitchen? absolutely not.
    "A recipe has no soul. You as the cook must bring soul to the recipe." -Thomas Keller

11.75 isn't that huge. It looks huge in the photo.

12" is absolutely necessary for making long, uninterrupted cuts through very large items. That is why yanagiba are made in larger sizes. Also there is a curve, so the long edge length ends up with a smaller knife with lots of useable area. My scimitar is shorter, as I bought it for medium sized pigs, but I often wished I had another couple of inches while making guide cuts for the bone saw doing chops and country style ribs. The few times I've done half cows I borrowed a 12" because I felt like I was butchering with a paring knife. I promise you whoever is cutting your cryovaced precut primals is using a knife this big, or they are being cut by laser guided machines.

Thank you, all valid points.

This is a prototype, and as it is with prototypes, I often don't know if the knife is going to be a failure or a success. I do it to get a feel for the process, figure out pitfalls and, if successful, to send it out to get a feedback. The first knife is always a prototype and priced accordingly.

I gave this scimitar a profile that is loosely based on some no-name American scimitar I got from Son. Geometry is S-grind, not sure if it offers any advantage over straight convex, but I am familiar with this geometry and like how the knife turns out in terms of weight and sturdiness. Switching to convex would not be much of an issue, convex is one of the easier geometries to grind.

The production scimitar is going to be between 12-14" long. There will be a small version, 8" scimitar-like breaking knife to accompany the 12-14" scimitar if there is an interest in a set.

From discussions I have had with a scimitar user, I got an impression that the knife rarely comes in contact with bones, so I ground this one as thin as I grind my other knives, to about .005" at the edge. If the knife does come in contact with bones, then I will leave .015" at the edge.

At this point, this is a study project. Once I get a feedback on geometry, profile, handle ergonomics, I will incorporate this info into a second prototype or possibly a finalized knife/production knife.

Thanks for chiming in.

Marko

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

If you're not doing bone-in ribeyes that's mostly true.

I use mine for bone in ribeye s and like em alittle thicker

I would prefer thicker. Even if it is not coming into much contact with bone (on purpose) it would be cutting through a lot of hard cold fat.

Exciting project to be sure.
    'The only real security that a man can have in this world is a reserve of knowledge, experience, and ability.' -Henry Ford

True, the fat probably takes it's toll on the edge more than anything else.

Good points. To make an edge thicker is just a few passes on DMT Extra course plate, tip to heel, so no big deal.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckles View Post
    I would prefer thicker. Even if it is not coming into much contact with bone (on purpose) it would be cutting through a lot of hard cold fat.

Exciting project to be sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Salty dog View Post
    True, the fat probably takes it's toll on the edge more than anything else.
    It can be like sandpaper on an old brisket packer!