Scimitar - A New Project

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marko Tsourkan

Founding Member
Reaction score
This has been on a back burner for a long time. This is a 11.75" prototype to get a feel of geometry and profile.

52100, S-grind. As with all my knives, the blade is ground to under .005" at the edge.

It will have a western handle in quilted maple with contrasting ebony front and end cap and brass tip.

The knife will be sent to a KKF pro user who has a good experience with scimitars for feedback and recommendations.

Eventually, it will be offered as a stock knife. 8" knife in a scimitar shape will also be offered in due time.

Thanks,

Marko

20140106_122740.jpg

20140106_122747.jpg

20140106_122824.jpg

This one in 52100, but I can make it in any steel, including AEB-L. I have a good amount of A2, and plan using that steel as well.

M

This could be my new grouper/red snapper whacker once it's finalized. 2014 is already looking expensive.

It's pretty thin at the edge, meant for cutting boneless proteins. Edge would need to be thickened if it is to come in contact with fish bones.

M

Western handle honesuki (single bevel) is the next project. I piggyback these on my regular workload to keep my sanity, i.e. to try new things.

M

I use one every day at work. I've had some luck with vintage carbon from various makers off the bay

Um, my scimitars have intimate relations with bones all the time.

Thickening the edge (reprofiling, microbeveling) is pretty straight forward. Also, grinding thicker at the edge is not problem. This is a new type of knife for me, so I will need some feedback and guidance.

this post offends me. i think of markos work as quite delicate and rediculously crafted to fit its need. is there a need for some giant sword like knife in a kitchen? absolutely not.

11.75 isn't that huge. It looks huge in the photo.

12" is absolutely necessary for making long, uninterrupted cuts through very large items. That is why yanagiba are made in larger sizes. Also there is a curve, so the long edge length ends up with a smaller knife with lots of useable area. My scimitar is shorter, as I bought it for medium sized pigs, but I often wished I had another couple of inches while making guide cuts for the bone saw doing chops and country style ribs. The few times I've done half cows I borrowed a 12" because I felt like I was butchering with a paring knife. I promise you whoever is cutting your cryovaced precut primals is using a knife this big, or they are being cut by laser guided machines.

Thank you, all valid points.

This is a prototype, and as it is with prototypes, I often don't know if the knife is going to be a failure or a success. I do it to get a feel for the process, figure out pitfalls and, if successful, to send it out to get a feedback. The first knife is always a prototype and priced accordingly.

I gave this scimitar a profile that is loosely based on some no-name American scimitar I got from Son. Geometry is S-grind, not sure if it offers any advantage over straight convex, but I am familiar with this geometry and like how the knife turns out in terms of weight and sturdiness. Switching to convex would not be much of an issue, convex is one of the easier geometries to grind.

The production scimitar is going to be between 12-14" long. There will be a small version, 8" scimitar-like breaking knife to accompany the 12-14" scimitar if there is an interest in a set.

From discussions I have had with a scimitar user, I got an impression that the knife rarely comes in contact with bones, so I ground this one as thin as I grind my other knives, to about .005" at the edge. If the knife does come in contact with bones, then I will leave .015" at the edge.

At this point, this is a study project. Once I get a feedback on geometry, profile, handle ergonomics, I will incorporate this info into a second prototype or possibly a finalized knife/production knife.

Thanks for chiming in.

Marko

If you're not doing bone-in ribeyes that's mostly true.

I use mine for bone in ribeye s and like em alittle thicker

I would prefer thicker. Even if it is not coming into much contact with bone (on purpose) it would be cutting through a lot of hard cold fat.

Exciting project to be sure.

True, the fat probably takes it's toll on the edge more than anything else.

Good points. To make an edge thicker is just a few passes on DMT Extra course plate, tip to heel, so no big deal.

M

I would prefer thicker. Even if it is not coming into much contact with bone (on purpose) it would be cutting through a lot of hard cold fat.

Exciting project to be sure.

True, the fat probably takes it's toll on the edge more than anything else.

It can be like sandpaper on an old brisket packer!

How fine an edge do you finish your scimitars? About 3-5K or higher?

this post offends me. i think of markos work as quite delicate and rediculously crafted to fit its need. is there a need for some giant sword like knife in a kitchen? absolutely not.

There is need for it in butchery. I'm thrilled to hear about the 8in as well. I'm glad to see you got this going Marko. The profile looks great. I think the thin behind the edge and sturdy spine is a great idea. Scimitars are not really supposed to come in contact with bones. They are more for portioning boneless sub primals. I am very excited.

Back