Quantcast
Can anyone explain wedging? - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can anyone explain wedging?

I'm not sure anyone is saying this, but is the common wisdom that a laser is less prone to wedging than a thicker blade (factoring out convexity and assymetry) incorrect?

Quote Originally Posted by dannynyc View Post
    I'm not sure anyone is saying this, but is the common wisdom that a laser is less prone to wedging than a thicker blade (factoring out convexity and assymetry) incorrect?
    It depends on what exactly you call wedging. A laser will be much less prone to breaking food while cutting, but they tend to have more sticktion, simply because there is only so much you can do with a very thin grind to address it.

A laser will be much less prone to breaking food while cutting, but they tend to have more sticktion, simply because there is only so much you can do with a very thin grind to address it.[/QUOTE]

Yes, that was my understanding too. You can only add so much convexity to a thin blade. I am frankly confused about the conflation in this thread of wedging and stiction -- I see these as two very different phenomena.

Quote Originally Posted by dannynyc View Post
    I am frankly confused about the conflation in this thread of wedging and stiction -- I see these as two very different phenomena.
    Likely because some misinterpret heavy stiction when making a cut to wedging.
    “Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”

Quote Originally Posted by Pensacola Tiger View Post
    Likely because some misinterpret heavy stiction when making a cut to wedging.
    i think the difference is mainly metaphysical, in practice.

+ Reply to Thread