Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheapo monosteels

Cheapo monosteels

My co-worker wants to get himself a carbon monosteel blade. Honyaki stuff being out of his price range, he's choosing between these three:
    Misono dragon
    Masamoto HC
    Sakai kikumori swedenkou
    He's asking me the difference between the them, I don't have a good answer for him. Help!

misono, thin, narrow, needs some convexing to be at its best
    masamoto beefy, tall, better steel but needs more work to cut better
    there is also masahiro virgin carbon which has a nice profile and good steel but the grind is completely righty biased, it's too asymmetric even for my tastes. i like 80/20, this is 90/10

Have you considered Sakai Takayuki? I have the 210mm and it is really nice for how much is costs:

http://www.knivesandstones.com/aonik...arbon-western/

I am a big fan of the Misono Dragon myself. This knife is such a good performer for a decent price. And it has good reviews too.

I'd be interested in the Masahiro too if I was searching a gyuto in this price range.

He may consider the Fujiwara FKH as well. My most recent one -- gyuto 270 -- had an excellent F&F, and even an acceptable factory edge, which I can't said about the Misonos -- weak and overly convexed by factory buffering. Steel problem with sulphur seems to have been solved. Still not as refined as the Misono, though.

The Masahiro is a bit harder than both the Fujiwara FKH and the Misono Swedish. Masamoto still has to invent QC with their yo-blades.

i will admit, misono is my most used knife even though it's the cheapest and least performer i have. it does one thing better than all my other knives though, and that is break down whole parmesan wheels. it isn't whimpy like a laser, but it also wont wedge like thicker knives. i have done some work on the stones a bit, aggressively thinned the tip, and also added convexity about 3/4" up from the edge along the entire blade.

really though, it should come down to profile preference, all 3 that i mentioned are vastly different.
    miso pointy, moto lowest nose, hiro biggest flat spot

miso easiest to sharpen but doesnt hold it well. moto hardest to sharpen but holds it well, hiro in between the two

So maybe the masahiro is the best choice considering all the options. I don't think he wil take the time to thin or work on the knife in anyway, I'll put a new edge on it for him. But other than that which one will perform the best without any work?

http://www.knivesandstones.com/sakai...fs-210mm-8-25/

What about this Sakai Takayuki? How come certain steels are considered honyaki and others are just "monosteel"?

Cheapo monosteels

Quote Originally Posted by Danzo View Post
    http://www.knivesandstones.com/sakai...fs-210mm-8-25/

What about this Sakai Takayuki? How come certain steels are considered honyaki and others are just "monosteel"?
    That's the one I have. I have not tried any of the others you have mentioned so I can't do a comparison for you. It is a thin blade and mine has very good f&f. Decent ootb edge and nimble.

Btw honyaki is about the heat treat rather than simply being monosteel