Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Zwilling-Henckels warranty replacements

Zwilling-Henckels warranty replacements

So, I got a good deal on a Henckels Kramer, NIB, from a seller on Amazon (one of the real companies, not just a random guy selling stuff). I got it today, and it has the dreaded holes in the edge. There is a small one further up the edge, but here is the big one. Now, obviously I can fix that, and I could return it as well, but the seller is currently out of stock for a replacement, so I'd have to take the money back, and I had wanted to try one OOTB to get a good handle on the geometry, so just fixing it is out of the question, too.

I've contacted Zwilling USA, but it was late in the day when I got the knife, so my message was towards the end of the work day, and I am sure weather is going to delay things anyway, as they are in NY, so I don't really expect to here anything back super soon. Regardless, I'm sure they'll replace it, given their warranty, but here is my question: is this a company that typically replaces bad products with verified good ones, or am I going to be sending them back over and over again until I get a good one?

I can't speak for Zwilling USA, but I wouldn't expect them to understand what the problem is. Unless you can show the issue to a rep and have them personally take a knife out of stock and check it, you'll most likely just be sent another knife from the warehouse. For what it's worth, they had a lot of production issues with the carbon Kramers and are likely to discontinue them.

I sent a picture explaining it, so hopefully that helps.

Devon, that's a damned shame. Let's know when you're clearing them out. They're really nice knives.

Jacob...crap!
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    Devon, that's a damned shame. Let's know when you're clearing them out. They're really nice knives.

Jacob...crap!
    It's okay. If they replace it with another that has an issue, I'll just fix it like I've fixed the various Japanese knives I've owned with under-ground heels. Just would have been nice to take it out of the box and start using it!

When I got mine a few years back, I had the luxury of hand picking one from a dozen at the local Sur La Table. A few had some serious flaws including the same mentioned here...a shame because when done right, they really are stellar.
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

That's what I get for trying to save a little bit of money. Taking out the holes, thinning a bit, re-finishing and then putting new bevels on isn't ideal, for a brand new knife, but I've done it plenty of times before, and the knife seems just fine, otherwise. Hopefully Zwilling will pick me out a good one, as returning it to the reseller and buying a different one isn't worth the effort, I think.

what interested you in these anyway?

I've just been wanting to try one, mostly. Also, since I'm down a lot of knives, I was hoping to get one that I wouldn't mind putting some mileage on, to keep from turning my other knives to nubs, too quickly.

so nothing in particular just a random curiosity? i ask because when i look at it and read about it, it does nothing for me. and after seeing that it comes with a serious flaw like that OOTB, that's completely unacceptable at that price range.

i get it tho, i picked up a masamoto HC for no other reason than because i was curious. spine and choil are sharp as hell, it's really heavy too plus it's western handled which i don't care for. but the steel seems good so far and i like that it's thick so i can put my own grind on it. at the same time it's not much of an investment as i got it on the cheap used.