Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Knives I would like to make

Knives I would like to make

So, I am making a list of knives I am interested in making. Most of these types I would like to own and use myself.
    Let me know what you think and if you have some other suggestions, I would love to hear it.

180mm Gyuto - done except for handle
    140mm Honesuki/Utility single-beveled - done except for handle
    240mm Sujihiki - heat treated
    240mm Yanagi - thinking about it
    210mm Miroshi Deba - thinking about it
    225mm Gyuto (on the edge, 240mm handle to tip) - will take what I have learned from 180mm, and apply to 240mm. Haven't made plans when to start
    225 Kiritsuke shape gyuto (on the edge, 240mm handle to tip) - same as above
    150mm Sabaki - single-beveled
    135mm Mukimono - single beveled
    225mm - 270mm Gyuto/Suji with Western Handle - need to learn how to make Western handles first
    270mm Kensaki Yanagi

PS: I haven't sharpened single beveled knives for some time now, so I am getting a kick from hamaguriba edge. I got to admit that recent Carter's video on how to sharpen convex edges was very helpful.

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

I would love to see the honesuki. Are you going to do the kiritsuke/gyuotu single bevel? You should definitely make the mukimono, not enough people make them! Post some pics of the finished work!

Here is a modified Honesuki. I made some changes to the grind based on my personal preferences. You can read about it in an earlier post within the same thread.

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/sh...st-Knife/page7

I will make a yanagi with a kensaki tip before making a kiritsuke (single-bevel). I tried kirtsuke once and found it too difficult to master, to use effectively. I would't make one for myself, but would make one if commissioned.

M

A super thin Sabaki would be sweet.

Yes, I always wanted a thin sabaki ever since I have learned about this type (thanks zknives!). I also like a slicer with that tip, not sure if should stick with a single bevel or make it a double-bevel.

M

Very cool! I would love to try the honesuki when done, looks nice

Now I had to look up what a sabaki is... Nice knife. But I am pretty much knifed out for now, no big urges to buy anything, maybe a 330 yanagi at some time. That said, your narrowed honesuki is the first knife that really caught my attention in a while. Looks like you have a nice to-do list for the near future.

Stefan

I think a 225mm Gyuto is a good idea. I'm not sure the world needs any more 240mm Gyutos, and there are already quite a few in the pipeline . . .

Any interest in a 210-225mm edge length wa-suji with a ~40mm tall heel? Stainless or semi makes for a great pro "line knife" to use during service to slice proteins, quick prep, etc.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyChance View Post
    Any interest in a 210-225mm edge length wa-suji with a ~40mm tall heel? Stainless or semi makes for a great pro "line knife" to use during service to slice proteins, quick prep, etc.
    Even better.