Knives I would like to make

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marko Tsourkan

Founding Member
Reaction score
So, I am making a list of knives I am interested in making. Most of these types I would like to own and use myself.
Let me know what you think and if you have some other suggestions, I would love to hear it.

180mm Gyuto - done except for handle
140mm Honesuki/Utility single-beveled - done except for handle
240mm Sujihiki - heat treated
240mm Yanagi - thinking about it
210mm Miroshi Deba - thinking about it
225mm Gyuto (on the edge, 240mm handle to tip) - will take what I have learned from 180mm, and apply to 240mm. Haven't made plans when to start
225 Kiritsuke shape gyuto (on the edge, 240mm handle to tip) - same as above
150mm Sabaki - single-beveled
135mm Mukimono - single beveled
225mm - 270mm Gyuto/Suji with Western Handle - need to learn how to make Western handles first
270mm Kensaki Yanagi

PS: I haven't sharpened single beveled knives for some time now, so I am getting a kick from hamaguriba edge. I got to admit that recent Carter's video on how to sharpen convex edges was very helpful.

I would love to see the honesuki. Are you going to do the kiritsuke/gyuotu single bevel? You should definitely make the mukimono, not enough people make them! Post some pics of the finished work!

Here is a modified Honesuki. I made some changes to the grind based on my personal preferences. You can read about it in an earlier post within the same thread.

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php?1437-WIP-First-Knife/page7

I will make a yanagi with a kensaki tip before making a kiritsuke (single-bevel). I tried kirtsuke once and found it too difficult to master, to use effectively. I would't make one for myself, but would make one if commissioned.

M

Yes, I always wanted a thin sabaki ever since I have learned about this type (thanks zknives!). I also like a slicer with that tip, not sure if should stick with a single bevel or make it a double-bevel.

M

Now I had to look up what a sabaki is... Nice knife. But I am pretty much knifed out for now, no big urges to buy anything, maybe a 330 yanagi at some time. That said, your narrowed honesuki is the first knife that really caught my attention in a while. Looks like you have a nice to-do list for the near future.

Stefan

I think a 225mm Gyuto is a good idea. I'm not sure the world needs any more 240mm Gyutos, and there are already quite a few in the pipeline . . .

Any interest in a 210-225mm edge length wa-suji with a ~40mm tall heel? Stainless or semi makes for a great pro "line knife" to use during service to slice proteins, quick prep, etc.

Any interest in a 210-225mm edge length wa-suji with a ~40mm tall heel? Stainless or semi makes for a great pro "line knife" to use during service to slice proteins, quick prep, etc.

Even better. :eek:vg:

Sounds like my old Henckels 230mm Chef's knife :)

Stefan

I am listening. :biggrin:

With all of my additional equipment and steel arriving early next week, I am getting ready embarking on a new adventure.
I am very, very excited.

M

Thanks guys. I am very slow at new things, so I might disappoint you how long it could take for me to make new things. But you should not be disappointed in quality. To put it simply, anything that doesn't make a cut will never see the light on this forum. :) I won't destroy it, but I will give it away without my name on it to friends and family.

m

mmm single beveled honesuki! I would love to see that.... Also, you should consider a hankotsu... seems like only misono makes them and I'm not a huge misono fan, but I really like the shape of the knife for breaking down birds! Take that market away from Misono!

Also you should let me hang out one day. I've always wanted to check out the process in-person. I will grind scale for you or any other menial tasks in exchange! Where in Westchester are you? my good friend at work is in Mount Vernon...

Back