Tanaka r2 iron gyuto.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jai

Reaction score
Hey guys I picked my tanaka r2 gyuto up tonight gave it a hit on the stones and honestly was like ***. I havent used it much in the last year and I honestly forgot how good that steel is, it takes a rediculas edge extremely fast and holds it for a very long time. I dont know if its tanakas heat treat on this steel or just the steel in general but why dont more makers use it. To me it feels very very close to carbon on the stones compared to other stainless knives. And seems like it would be a nice steel for custom makers to use. Also does anyone know why every r2 steel knife is in damascus and does anyone know where you can get tanaka r2 240 wa gyutos. To any of you guys who have used this knife or own one what are your opinions on this steel and makers technique with it? Thanks guys. Jai

R2 = SG2. It's probably the HT on it; sg2 on my saji takes a nice edge and holds a good edge for a long time, but sharpening wise, it's slightly more grindable than my zdp-189 cermax.

Well, it's literally a custom knife. Tanaka Sr. Was the sole maker of these for years. The torch has been passed to Shigeki son, I believe. I loved mine for the aesthetics and the grind. The choil was sharp, the bolster had sharp edges, and the deep etched damascus, although pretty wasn't my cup of tea in everyday use. The handles are drop dead gorgeous....I do like the fact I never saw any sign of chippiness, often associated with sg2. Maybe a good reason to differentiate the names with r2...

Love my SG2 knives (Tanaka and Epicurean Ryusen). They sharpen easily and hold an edge for a long time. I noticed with the Ryusens if you give them a little touch up on a ceramic rod occasionally you won't get chipping (unless you drop one in the sink. That's another story.)

Chop, it took about 2 minutes with a deburring tool and a micromesh pad, and no more sharp edges. Loving the knife!

TheBestThings.com shows some unetched Tanakas if you want one but don't want the deep damascus.

Every time I sharpen a Tanaka R2 I'm reminded of just how impressive an edge can be. Lots of great things have been said, by pro users, about edge retention as well.

i actually have a takamura. lol. they're pretty sweet knives.

i haven't really gotten to use it much so i can't talk about it. besides we're off topic since the op is talking about the tanaka r2.

and i won't be able to use any knife as my carpal tunnel syndrome is acting up. =(

My tanaka had a nice smooth bolster and choil. Maybe I got lucky

Back