Three Gyuto Profiles

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Salty dog

Reaction score
Came across this photo and thought it may be interesting to "profile geeks".

Bob Kramer, "Salty's Style"
Devin Thomas ITK Prototype
Masamoto Honyaki

**** that Kramer is hot and I don't normally like the look of kramers much.

I think that may have been ground down... ;)

whatever was done to it I like it.

IIRC Salty requested the profile specifically when custom ordering from Kramer.

IMO you just can't beat the Masamoto's profile. Once you graduate from rock-chopping, that's one hell of a useful shape right there.

I have looked at this picture more then a few times over the years. I now own two of the three knives, again probably because of this picture.

these 3 gyuto are beast, the masamoto have a nice polish to it

The Masamoto profile will always be my favorite. But I wouldn't be too upset if I found something I like better. Just out of curiosity do you have a preference yourself, Salty? Or is it more like a different day, different flavor kind of thing?

The Masamoto profile will always be my favorite. But I wouldn't be too upset if I found something I like better. Just out of curiosity do you have a preference yourself, Salty? Or is it more like a different day, different flavor kind of thing?

I believe he favors his mizuno tanrenjo profile for his "all rounder"

Yep, the miz has the most miles on it.

I like a pointy tip and a decent flat spot like the Masamoto and others. I also like them sub 50 in height.

That's the finest looking Kramer I've ever seen.

I come back to this post again and again to look at these three knives. Thanks for posting this.

I have started to appreciate a flatter profile, the DT ITK and Massamoto both have really awesome profiles, I am not a big fan of the "German" type profile, like a wustie or henckels, I see the Kramer was ground down or changed a little bit, the profile is a little different than stock

I have started to appreciate a flatter profile, the DT ITK and Massamoto both have really awesome profiles, I am not a big fan of the "German" type profile, like a wustie or henckels, I see the Kramer was ground down or changed a little bit, the profile is a little different than stock

Salty requested a modified profile from Bob.

For me, Devin wins, but what do I know...

Stefan

Back