SLD vs R2/SG2

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mkriggen

Reaction score
I've got a couple of knives in SLD and really like them. I was wondering if anybody could give a first hand comparison between SLD and R2/SG2.

Be well,
Mikey

I have a Yoshikane 270 SLD and a Blazen 270 in SG2. In my experience, the SLD is easier to sharpen and holds and edge much better. SG2 takes more effort to get sharp and doesn't stay sharp long at all. The edge degrades quickly, but once settled it stays there for a long time. The grind on the Yoshikane is also much thinner BTE so it cuts better. I've been thinning the Blazen a lot, but it's still got a long way to go.

Also consider it's more about what the maker does with the steel than the steel itself.

Despite the lack of edge retention, the Blazen is a REALLY nice knife. IMO it doesn't get enough love.

I had a mr itou in r2 and it sharpened like stainless but held an edge forever.

My experience with SG2 is very different some. I have it in the Kramer WS Meiji 6" chef knife and that knife holds its edge (very accute) better than AS steel, IMO even better than HD. We all trully know what makes a steel great, its all about heat treatment (given their starting with a good steel blend to begin with).

I wonder if all Blazens are the way mine is, or maybe I got a dud, 'cuz no one else ever has anything but positive things to say about SG2/R2.

I do not want to be a smart back side, but shouldn't one also consider heat-treat when comparing two steels? I just have to think of all this posts about AEB-L which covers complete spectrum from average to stellar performance - depends who makes the knife out of it.

EDIT: I obviously overlooked the answer by Mucho Bocho ...

Back