Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Cut Brooklyn: Opinions?

Cut Brooklyn: Opinions?

Does anyone have a Cut Brooklyn knife? If so, what do you think of them? How's the steel, the edge, and the performance?

Cheers,

Jack

P.S.: since they come from Brooklyn, there's a Yo!-handled joke in there somewhere, but I can't work it out.

Never used one, but Joel seems to have really upped his game, recently. I like the new profile, and I think his handles look pretty nice.
    They're not lazers, though.
    Dave?
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    Never used one, but Joel seems to have really upped his game, recently. I like the new profile, and I think his handles look pretty nice.
    They're not lazers, though.
    Dave?
    The last time I checked, Cut Brooklyn used steel more suitable for hunting and field knives, than kitchen knives.

One style handle. Too thin IMO

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

When I first decided to get a higher-end knife late last year I seriously considered CB. Joel isn't too far and we emailed about a custom order. My sister had been to his shop when a friend ordered several knives and said he was a great guy. That was my experience, as well.

But when I floated the idea on knife forums the consensus was the Prospect profiles were not the best so I passed. Also I wasn't crazy about the colored resin handles.

The newer Journeyman model seems to be more in line with j knives and he's using wood handles.

SLT is going to carry his manufactured line pretty soon.

Personally, I don't quite understand the pricetag. But perhaps I am missing something.

For all practical purposes, the CB knives are mid-techs. CB doesn't do his own heat treats, and you can't really customize the knife. If I were going to buy a mid-tech, a DT looks a lot more appealing especially considering the price tag. I can get a full custom from Pierre or for 100-200 more, you get a damascus knife from Del.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." --Albert Einstein

+1. No in-house heat treatment, limited handle customization, limited steel selection. Mid-tech at best.

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial

Is it just me or do his handles seem pretty weird?

I posted this reply on another forum:

"I've got a gyuto in his Journeyman series, which uses 1095 carbon steel. It's a simple steel, but a solid performer that has proven itself in outdoor knives.

Haven't had the gyuto for too long, so I can't comment on long-term use, but it's ground very thin and cuts exceptionally well. A little more flexible than I usually like, but that's probably just a function of its thinness and doesn't detract from its usability for me.

It's a real beauty, too.

Joel is a really nice guy and a superb craftsman. I hope his knives get more popular in Foodie circles."

One thing I would add is that I don't believe outsourcing the heat treat connotes a mid-tech knife. Everything else is done in his shop and without benefit of CNC, so far as I know.

There is no true definition of mid-tech. However, the DT mid-tech has more steps done in house than the CBs and cost about half the price. At around the same price, I can get a some of the knife makers here to make me a true custom knife. I don't knock people for liking a particular knife, but personally I don't think the CB stuff is a particularly good value. You can get a mizu honyaki or and damascus Ealy for not much more.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." --Albert Einstein