Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Cut Brooklyn: Opinions?

I just joined this forum, though I've been around similar forums for a few years. Just don't post much. But it feels a little insular on some of the forums, at times. Maybe some people have a slight aversion to that and decide to earn their beans elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by thehessian View Post
    I just joined this forum, though I've been around similar forums for a few years. Just don't post much. But it feels a little insular on some of the forums, at times. Maybe some people have a slight aversion to that and decide to earn their beans elsewhere.
    I sorry you feel that this forum is insular just because we are not attracted to the CB knives. We have guys here who have bought thousand dollar knives just to try them out. Adam was the first person who I knew who bought a Kramer. Salty was the first I knew to buy almost every knife he owns. Just because we haven't affirmed your knife purchase decision, doesn't mean we don't like you. Joel just haven't given the guys here to get behind in terms of a product. Maybe he is not targeting us as a customer. He is obviously doing something right to be able to sell his knives at Williams Sonoma, so maybe he doesn't need us.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." --Albert Einstein

I know Joel pretty well, he's been down here at least 4 times that I can recall and we've become good friends. His take on his knives is interesting since he started both designing & making knives without any help or influence at all. He essentially bought a grinder and some steel and got to doing what he liked. He started out somewhere down south in a gardner's shack (or something like that) while attending college. He's put a lot of time into refining his knives to be unique yet functional.

The knives themselves (the Propect line) are pretty thin, use good steel (well I only know about his older CPM-154 models) and can hold their own with what we've seen. The issues that people have mentioned to me when handling his knives is that they either love or don't like the handles. From what I can see hand size plays a good part in this. The belly profile is a bit more of a rocker style but not as much as what you'd think.

As for Joel participating on the forums, I doubt that will happen, but maybe he reads them?

I know that regardless of what we here think of his knives or pricing that he sells a crap load of knives up in NYC and is set to take off.

Rockbox, believe me, my opinions are not based on consensus validation or lack-thereof. That's a bit of a simplistic reading. Though this is the internet, nuance gets lost, and I'm by no means calling you simplistic. Anyway, I formed that opinion (rightly or wrongly) before I bought the knife.

Dave, that strikes me as a very balanced and fair take on the matter.
    Last edited by thehessian; 06-16-2011 at 11:02 PM. Reason: changed and to anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    I know that regardless of what we here think of his knives or pricing that he sells a crap load of knives up in NYC and is set to take off.
    Shun sold a whole bunch of Ken Onions also.

Marketing and sales success has little to do with product quality. Heck, I've helped sell 8 million dollars of software that didn't work at all. Its all about being liked and seen. Joel has done a great job at this. He's been in a number of national magazines and he has a good camera personality. I think the knife makers here could learn a lot from Joel in this regard. The real money is in the Sub-zero/Thermador/Mauviel crowd.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." --Albert Einstein

BTW, if any you guys could get on the Pioneer Woman to write something good about you on her blog, you would have a waiting list as long as Bob's.

Maybe some of us are a bit less diplomatic than others, but we perceive things differently. I personally evaluate knives as a package - steel, heat treat, grind, handle work, finish, etc. I have learned to appreciate the simplicity with which some of my favorite makers (here in US and Japan) approach their craft. It makes the end product even so more beautiful and appealing.

Success of a maker doesn't always capture that. But for myself, I know it when I see it.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

I'm not comparing Joel to Bob, in the least, but we have all agreed that perhaps the two biggest factors in the success of Kramer knives is, 1) camera presence-Bob is entertaining, knowledgable and well-spoken (so is Joel), and 2)Bob LOVES doing what he does, and his excitement is contagious. I think, as Dave alluded to, Joel is proving that sometimes these are the intangibles that make a person's product take off.
    Regardless, I'd love to give one a try. I'm planning to hit up NYC this summer, so maybe I'll pay him a visit....
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

I can't argue that Joel is personable and great with marketing because that's all true.

But the rest...?
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com