Quantcast
Cut Brooklyn: Opinions? - Page 8
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Cut Brooklyn: Opinions?

You're right. Rufus did pass away. My mistake. He WAS a neighbor, having lived just a few miles away. I probably wouldn't buy a CB either, but the man appears to be meeting a need in his community. What's wrong with that?
    Tom Gray, Seagrove, NC

The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    Well, there is 10K hours rule to get good at anything. I wonder how many more hours CB needs to make a good handle?
    I don't think Malcolm Gladwell's opinion can be classified as a rule....

One more thing --- we have a saying in the pottery biz -- it takes 40 hours a week for at least 7 years to become competent enough to make what you see in your mind's eye.
    Tom Gray, Seagrove, NC

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew H View Post
    I don't think Malcolm Gladwell's opinion can be classified as a rule....
    10K hours was from Malcom Gladwell, but the idea is as old as the world. You need to put a few years of effort (often guided) to become good at anything, profession, sports, science, etc. 10K is roughly translates into 5 years of effort.

To grind a knife well, one might not need 5 years, but to understand the craft (metallurgy, heat treatment, etc), 5 years might not be enough.. Look at Devin - 30 years in knife-making and still learning new things.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Well, there is 10K hours rule to get good at anything. I wonder how many more hours CB needs to make a good handle?

So how many have u seen I person?......Ryan
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

viva la revolucion !

Quote Originally Posted by sudsy9977 View Post
    So how many have u seen I person?......Ryan
    You mean have I seen one in person? No, but I get a good idea from pictures on CB site as well as WS site.

I think if you go back into threads discussing CB on KF and KKF, handles were the turning down point. WS line handles area also very basic. Remind me of Lamson handles.

M

Well, there is 10K hours rule to get good at anything.
    So when I hit 75 years old I should finally be good at SEX.

With advances of modern medicine, everything is possible. Look at Berlusconi.

The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial

10K hours was from Malcom Gladwell, but the idea is as old as the world. You need to put a few years of effort (often guided) to become good at anything, profession, sports, science, etc. 10K is roughly translates into 5 years of effort.

To grind a knife well, one might not need 5 years, but to understand the craft (metallurgy, heat treatment, etc), 5 years might not be enough.. Look at Devin - 30 years in knife-making and still learning new things.

M
    If you mean the idea that being good at something takes time is as old as the world, yes, you would be right. Still I don't think that it can be called a rule, and I don't think it applies to everything.

With advances of modern medicine, everything is possible. Look at Berlusconi.
    And the advances just happened. Read this article about the Mayo Clinic. They have anti-aging mice already.

http://www.startribune.com/nation/133130703.html

k.
    "In Japan they don't call it Japanese food, they just call it food." -- Children's Hospital Quote