Japanese Knives Gesshin Hide 270mm Blue #1 Kensaki Yanagiba after Honbadzuke

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBroida

KKF Vendor
Founding Member
Reaction score
Just an example of our honbadzuke service...

1483631_10151943844973860_558045054_o.jpg

1483577_10151943844983860_111535073_o.jpg

I've herd hon-bazuke referred to like a mizuno knife but what is the process.

Specifically, it is to put the proper working edge on a new knife.

it translates roughly to putting the real edge or final edge on the knife... it is the final sharpening of the knife preparing it for use for the first time. Many japanese craftsmen intentionally do not do this, so that the customer can put his or her own edge on the knife (as personal preference has a large part to do with it). However, some, upon request, will do so. More often, however, retail stores will offer this for customers in japan. We do the same here.

Beautiful as always Jon. I have had the service done on my yanagi from Jon as well. I bet she's going to cut like a dream! Can't wait to get to JKI someday. I'm going to bring you all of my knives for sharpening and touch up!

Are you also finishing the front and back of the blade face, or just final sharpening of the cutting edge?

Looks amazing!

Are you also finishing the front and back of the blade face, or just final sharpening of the cutting edge?

Looks amazing!

the whole blade road, uraoshi sharpening, and koba (micorbevel), plus making it look pretty

wow, look amazing after sharpened. the mirror finish on the blade look sick

I have never used a yanagi nor meet anyone that used one. That being said, is there any performance advantage to creating a contrast between cladding? Does the friction coefficient of the different steels play a role in food release or something? Is it pointless besides the good look?

nope... just looks cool. It can, however, help show that proper sharpening has been done (though not always, as some people use fingerstones and other tools to cover up high and low spots, or missed areas)

I think my choice of the word "pointless" was a bad choice, as It makes an impression on how I feel about your work. Entirely not the case. I admire your skills, jon. I was asking strictly from a performance point of view.

This knife was actually sent to me. I was a bit hesitant to use it initially, because it was soo beautiful. But recently, i've been using it a lot at work and absolutely loves it. It does have amazing grind and edge retention. And it was alot easier to sharp than i initially anticipated. Thank Jon from JKI for the hook up. Will buy couple more. Prolly a petty or a deba. Might call you in couple days to ask for recommendations.

you know where to find me ;)

Glad you're enjoying it... hopefully everything i said about it is turning out to be true in your eyes too.

you did an amazing job. I felt like i came out on top. Very fairly price, and top notch quality. I can see why you mentioned that it's your favorite single bevel knife.

Back