Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Stabilizing/Dyeing Wood Question

Quote Originally Posted by SpikeC View Post
    This is the machine that I have:
    http://www.ottofrei.com/store/produc...productid=9107

The advantage is the power of the suckage. I have it for casting jewelry, so using it for stabilizing wood is just a side advantage.
    So, how does wood appearance change with Nelsonite treatment?
    Spike, have you tried to add dyes to the solution?

I am very intrigued. I find sending wood for stabilizing inconvenience at best (time, cost, etc), so doing it at home with acceptable results would have been great.

M

"All beauty that has no foundation in use, soon grows distasteful and needs continuous replacement with something new." The Shakers' saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

I have not added dye, but I don't see why it would not work. Asking the maker would probably be a good idea. It does not change the appearance of the wood at all.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Spike -
    my next questions would be how deep is the stabilizing with the equipment you have? How long do you need to run a pump to stabilize one block, say 1.25x1.5x6"?

M

"All beauty that has no foundation in use, soon grows distasteful and needs continuous replacement with something new." The Shakers' saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

With the block of curly maple that I just did the juice was sucked all the way into the wood in under 5 minutes, I would say. This pump is seriously strong, and it sucks all of the air out of the wood so that the solution is sucked right in. It is rated at 29.9 inches of mercury.
    I did do this piece after shaping it and making the hole for the tang, so I probably didn't need to process it that long.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

In my experiance with Nelsonite, the wood would still absorb water after treatment.

Was pulled under 29" of merc, for 8 hrs. Let dry 7 days and treated again. After 7 days of drying in my light box, it would still allow water to penetrate.

Just curious if I did somthing wrong? Wasnt any where near commercial stabilized.

God Bless
    Mike