Quantcast
[Cutting Boards] End vs. Edge - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: [Cutting Boards] End vs. Edge

Quote Originally Posted by Salty dog View Post
    I have an end grain Boardsmith at home. I work on 65 y.o. edge grain at work. As much as I love my boardsmith I much prefer cutting at work.
    Please expand on your experience--why? When I'm about to spend $250, your opinion is incredibly important.

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    Lol I would say just the size of that table would be more than enough.
    Chewie's the man.

Yah, Salty's table is about a full acre of wood....

His kitchen also has a window with natural light...something I envy!
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

mr Salty Usually keeps a cigarette butt burning in the corner of his board too, guess that for atmosphere. Salty's could keep an aged turd on his board and we'd all still think he rules.
    One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

hah im getting a better idea now. still trying to justify spending an additional $200 on a board now. hehe

My only regret with buying a Boardsmith is that I didn't buy one large enough. If I win the lottery I'd have every counter top be a Boardsmith. So I guess what I'm saying is that it's totally worth the extra money to get a Boardsmith.

My boardsmith board is a looker, I'll give you that, but my it is thirsty. I don't know about the rest of you, but I'll clean it when finished every with light, natural soap, and gently too, and the rest of the time just wipe with a damp cloth, but still seems I need an awful lot of board butter and mineral oil. Seems to dry out quickly. Therefore, I tend to use an edge grain or Japanese Hasegawa board 90% of the time.

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    If its about money then there is no justifying higher/ lower. If you never have tried a hamburger graded prime there is no justification over a mcdonalds burger. Other than someone saying its very much better. The 200$ is worth the cost and time you take sharpen your knives. The amount and type of glue is also a priority. Bad glue you need more for a hold.
    Chewie's the man.

Quote Originally Posted by Asteger View Post
    My boardsmith board is a looker, I'll give you that, but my it is thirsty. I don't know about the rest of you, but I'll clean it when finished every with light, natural soap, and gently too, and the rest of the time just wipe with a damp cloth, but still seems I need an awful lot of board butter and mineral oil. Seems to dry out quickly. Therefore, I tend to use an edge grain or Japanese Hasegawa board 90% of the time.
    My black cherry board was like that when new. I just went through the effort to apply straight mineral oil until the board slowed its absorbent rate. I guess I spent a couple of weeks and 250ml of mineral oil. After that I switched to board butter and applied it every night for a few days. Now I apply board butter once a month or so.

As far as the OP's question. I have a Boos edge grain that works just fine. I know this board, even if I used it everyday, would last me a lifetime. Whether or not I had to sharpen my knives more often when I was using the Boos board, I don't remember.

Thanks, insightful!

I'll probably end up keeping this board. The value seems pretty incredible to me at the size and quality. If I'm dying for some cherry wood down the road, I'll splurge.

http://www.amazon.com/Michigan-Maple...dp/B0040EDQRG/