Which knife to satisfy an itch? (Definitely not a need!)

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

echerub

Reaction score
Hey guys. This is a what-should-I-buy post with a small twist.

If Jon is able to make a Gesshin Hide cleaver a reality, that's where the remainder of my year's knife money goes to. But if not...

I'm very tempted by the following 3 knives:
- DT ITK AEBL 270
- DT ITK 52100 240
- Konosuke HD kiristuke-gyuto (probably) 240

I already have a two great ITK AEBL knives - a 240 gyuto and a 220 cleaver. *Love* the steel, love how the knives handle.

I've been using a single-bevel kiritsuke lately and really enjoy it. Already have a Takeda AS kiritsuke-gyuto on the sidelines that I have yet to use at all... but the HD steel in double-bevel kiritsuke format is really attractive too.

Hmmm... just writing this out, I'm now leaning towards one of Devin's 52100 ITKs...

What are your thoughts?

I'll just point out that if scratching that itch is what you're looking to do, of the three you list, only one, the DT ITK 52100 240, is available right now.

Rick

Maybe my browser is incorrect, but it looks like the 270s are back in stock?

Oh, I'm in no big rush. The itch doesn't need immediate scratching :) It just helps settle my mind to know what the plan is :)

But re: availability, the AEBL 270s show up as available to me as well.

Oh, I'm in no big rush. The itch doesn't need immediate scratching :) It just helps settle my mind to know what the plan is :)

But re: availability, the AEBL 270s show up as available to me as well.

Thanks for the correction. I must have "misremembered" the out of stock tag. Actually, I'm really surprised, since there's ever been an "in stock" condition on those for long.

Rick

For me, after taking delivery of my DT 270mm AEB-L I placed an order for one of DT's carbon 240mm's. By the way, there was only 3 carbon knives left as of yesterday.

Oh that suji is a beaut. Unfortunately, sujis just don't suit me. I like taller profiles for chopping, and if I'm slicing I'd pick up a single-bevel slicer :)

I might *eventually* get them all, but right now it's gotta be only one. :) Spent a lot on knives already this year, and I've got some work/professional expenses coming up in the latter half of the year.

If you want more of the same (AEB-L), then go with the 270 ITK; if you want similar feel and performance, the 52100, and it is significantly larger than the 240 in AEB-L that you won't be getting a duplicate; if you want a "laser", then wait a bit for the Konosuke.

Actually, I think I'd wait for the cleaver from Jon.

Rick

Oh, if Jon can make the cleaver a reality, no question that I'm putting my money on that :)

If not though, the 52100 ITK is starting to take the lead in this 3-horse race :)

Devin ground the last few batches thinner, so these will cut better. I am tempted to say that geometry will be similar to Carter's, from what I have heard, but I would need to see one up close to make that claim.

M

you really want the same thing? why not try something new? Plus if you are not crazy about it you can always sell it here

You have a 240 AEBL DT ITK? Why get the 270 then? You really want the same knife only 3cm longer? I would say you would end up gravitating toward one and not using the other at all. The 240 in 52100 makes a little more sense. At least it's an entirely different steel. Also seems pointless to get the Kono HD kirit gyuto when you don't use your Takeda at all. If you think you would use the Kono more, sell the Takeda and to buy the Kono, then you can still get the DT or Gesshin.

What would be the difference between the Gesshin Hide and Gesshin Ginga cleavers?

Good points, good points. I guess the attraction on the ITK 52100 is threefold: the fact that the profile is a bit different from the ITK AEBL, I've never tried 52100 before, and I'm enjoying Hoss's other works (particularly the cleaver!)

With the Gesshin Hide line, the big draw is the fact that the knives are made by craftsmen whose work Jon believes are the best he has come across in Japan.

Back