Are you a wolf, or a sheep?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NO ChoP!

Old Head
Reaction score
It's like time stands still. You watch all the commotion around you. You hear all the noise; tickets printing, pans clinking, food sizzling, people talking loudly. Everyone is frazzled; turning circles, moving fast. Their bodies spin at the same rate as their brain, yet they are lost. If you tried to talk to them, it would be like trying to talk to a man on a ledge, or a crackhead on their knees digging in the carpet for that dropped crack rock; desperate. I walk out to the field with fifty thousand people, bright lights over head and I hear nothing. I can hear my heartbeat. Everything around me is fuzzy; blurred. I am in the moment. I am in my element. I eat, breath and crap this. I feel like everything around me is in fast forward, yet I am able to see things in normal speed. I take a moment to read the tickets, plot out my next dozen moves, reach over to the guy next to my station and toss his almost burning saute, turn to the guy on the other side, and remind him to check his steaks in the oven, quickly save the expo from sending out a wrong plate, all while taking control of the situation. I have every burner going, oven filled, and am plating every plate I have to fit in front of me, thinking of my next ten steps, all while walking everyone around me through their next ten. Like little kids in winter with mittens on, unsure of the snowy path ahead. Now that I've set the tone, and others are feeling more confident and starting to relax, I will turn to them, and remind them that I'd like to screw their mothers and sisters. That's how we role in the kitchen. Everyone wants to be a chef. Only the truly great are actually good line cooks. Can you work in an environment that is equivalent to a pressure cooker, and thrive? Day after day, year after year? No one pats you on the back for the hundreds of good plates, but one slow ticket or mishap and ten managers, who do diddly squat hover over you. The stress can eat you alive, if you let it. What is my payoff? Self gratitude. I know I can walk into any kitchen, anywhere and hang. Not only hang but kick some butt, and garner instant respect. And with that respect, I will trash talk them, and talk about their moms and sisters...AWoooooooo! I am a wolf!

I work in adult entertainment. Can only cook at home, where nobody's expecting me to talk about their mother.

No one pats you on the back for the hundreds of good plates, but one slow ticket or mishap and ten managers, who do diddly squat hover over you. The stress can eat you alive, if you let it. What is my payoff? Self gratitude. I know I can walk into any kitchen, anywhere and hang. Not only hang but kick some butt, and garner instant respect. And with that respect, I will trash talk them, and talk about their moms and sisters...AWoooooooo! I am a wolf!

After 10+ years on the line, i know this feeling all too well... WOLFPACK FTW

All the while crushing a six-pack of cheap beer, banging out lines every ten, and impromptu coat room f**k fests with the groupy servers/hostess's or that foxy brunette/blonde eye humping you from table 34, during back crushing service. God I miss the 90's.

That pretty much sums up the attitude the good ones have.

But after a while it does wear you out.

I'm not sure as I've ever heard it put any better and it's why I still do what I do

Chop, Sounds like your kitchen should be called D-Day.

I have heard that you're a very clever and creative Chef Chris. Given that we live in the same state, I hope to have you over for some knife-inn and food prep. I'd like to pick your brain sometime about cooking approaches and technique. I know a lot of people that own their own restaurants but when they come to my kitchen, All I hear is WOW, I never thought of that and delicious. I don't work as a Chef primarilly because of the life style but am a Chef at heart.

I've spent a lot of time studing ingredients, approach and execution. My knife skills are better than most too. I might not have as much front-line fighting experience as you but I consider myself a self-made WOLF as well.

Sounds like you'd be sucessful on Chopped. What do you say Chop Chop, put your money where your mouth is?

I'm a bear. I plod along, do my thing. Not the fastest, not the best. I am quiet until poked, don't poke the bear. I eat wolves and shyt sheep. At the end of the day you Can't resist me . I'm the last man standing. I am the bear.

reach over to the guy next to my station and toss his almost burning saute, turn to the guy on the other side, and remind him to check his steaks in the oven, quickly save the expo from sending out a wrong plate, all while taking control of the situation

Yeah I like this bit. I think something that separates the wheat from thew chaff in the Chef game is knowing things you don't need to know. Some people just pick things up but not everyone. You notice other guys making mistakes even though it's not your station but somehow you know everything they have to do

Wolves work in packs, they compete with each other to be number one. They make each other stronger and only the strongest survive. As a team they are invincible.

I am the walrus.
Ku Ku KaChoo!
I can't believe I'm the 1st.

I like to think of Jesus as wearing a tuxedo tee-shirt, which says I'm formal, but I'm here to party.

Yeah I like this bit. I think something that separates the wheat from thew chaff in the Chef game is knowing things you don't need to know. Some people just pick things up but not everyone. You notice other guys making mistakes even though it's not your station but somehow you know everything they have to do

'Kitchen sense'. Seeing but not seeing. Just knowing what's going on. Noticing the big and little things. Congratulating a dishwasher for finally figuring out where the robo coupe blade goes(without being condescending), and chastising your lead line cook(who can bang out a million dishes on a Friday) for not properly mincing an onion. Catching a waitron ignoring a table, and praising a bartender for describing that dish just right while you're having a drink and doing orders. Noticing that sink needs work, that corner needs dusting, that person isn't working out, that person needs a little help, the drafts are getting a little stale, the paint is chipping over there, the seating chart could make a little more sense... Being a chef is like having way too many kids and a big giant house(es), that you really care a lot about.

^^

And on a more basic, line-cook level - you want that awareness and chemistry too. You know you're with a solid cook when you don't really have to talk during service. I don't want to be working with someone who has to be told, or call back, their orders multiple times per ticket. Or having to tell them that this push is 90% off your station and a little help finishing plates and putting them up instead of ass-scratching would be appreciated. Same as you do when they get weeded. That unspoken connection... it's surprising just how many people need things spelled out for them.

Especially now that I've been doing this longer, I am extremely appreciative that my first 'real' kitchen job (ie I was taught to think about food and not just sling plates) was in a restaurant where the menu was printed daily - and changed often -, there were no heat lamps in the kitchen, you did plating yourself, and you had no tickets. It taught me a lot.

I don't want to toot my horn but throw owning the place on top of that. It puts things in perspective. It's no longer about the food and kitchen, it's about keeping 30 people happily employed. I'm as satisfied as the next cook when I'm slinging hash but when my people start having babies and buy cars and homes......NOTHING gives me more pleasure.

That my friends is what this stuff is all about. Creating a place for happiness and prosperity. Cooking almost seems trivial.

I don't want to toot my horn but throw owning the place on top of that. It puts things in perspective. It's no longer about the food and kitchen, it's about keeping 30 people happily employed. I'm as satisfied as the next cook when I'm slinging hash but when my people start having babies and buy cars and homes......NOTHING gives me more pleasure.

That my friends is what this stuff is all about. Creating a place for happiness and prosperity. Cooking almost seems trivial.

Couldn't agree more.

Well, back when I was hands on at the restaurant, worrying about keeping my staff happy kept me up at night. Seriously.

I'm a bear. I plod along, do my thing. Not the fastest, not the best. I am quiet until poked, don't poke the bear. I eat wolves and shyt sheep. At the end of the day you Can't resist me . I'm the last man standing. I am the bear.

LOL! Seriously funny. Lol does not properly communicate how much I just laughed.

This reminds me of a friend & fellow chef. Nmko you may know him, the sous from restaurant 2 , then sake, then esquires. He is a bear. We had a conversation about work shoes... I wear skulls and cross bones berkis... Non slip, comfortable & pirate friendly. This friend said he wears Italian leathers... I think ***, has to be the worst choice of footwear slippery as hell. All he said was I like to move slowly and keep an eye on things. He is a bear if I ever saw one.

Is it acceptable to be a dingo? We don't have wolfs down here... Dingos are ferocious and get to cackle like maniacs... Also hunt in packs.

LOL pirate friendly... i just burn't out my 5th pair of berkis. Im on Macbeths temporarily till i find something that fits my size 13 wide ass feet. I go through a pair of berkis in 3 months... not wasting any more cash on em.

Don't know him? i think? - I have pretty much been living at work for the past 6 months....

Well, back when I was hands on at the restaurant, worrying about keeping my staff happy kept me up at night. Seriously.

Know that feeling all to well. Certainly don't mean this in a negative way. It was kind of an honor, in a very difficult sense.

Back