Page 12 of 19 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Takeda ....What to look for (now) to keep from getting screwed

Seriously unimpressive grind, no other way of putting it.

I purchased a Takeda gyuto in 2008. It was pretty good (and much better ground, thinner with greater concavity than the one above) but not a game changer. My Yoshikane migaki is superior in every way, except it is a touch harder to sharpen.

I like the original grind your knives had more magnus. Mine is like that but the bevels and the grind are a bit more asymetrical. Amazing for food release. And just a fantastic cutter all around.

Quote Originally Posted by labor of love View Post
    I like the original grind your knives had more magnus. Mine is like that but the bevels and the grind are a bit more asymetrical. Amazing for food release. And just a fantastic cutter all around.
    Really? I guarantee it was wedge city.

I made a 2 1/2 pans of hash browns (cubed style) quicker with my takeda than other gyutos ive used. No wedging great food release. I literally didnt have to stop to clean cut potatoes off my blade once. If potatoes are a good test for wedging then i would say my takeda performed well.

Whats a good test for wedging? Sweet potatoes?

Quote Originally Posted by labor of love View Post
    Whats a good test for wedging? Sweet potatoes?
    A big parsnip is a perfect test, but sweet potatoes are good, too. Regular potatoes don't wedge much.

Wedging is not much of an issue with good technique. Those who can't alter geometries themselves shouldn't even bother with hand made knives.

This usually is a telling test for me. The narrower section usually shows stiction well too.

Quote Originally Posted by panda View Post
    Wedging is not much of an issue with good technique. Those who can't alter geometries themselves shouldn't even bother with hand made knives.
    Well sure, with proper technique delicate brain surgery should be perfectly feasible when using a chainsaw, and those who can't modify chains to suit their needs shouldn't even bother.

The current Takedas look like crap, and the fact that he's perfectly willing to re-grind them suggests to me that he's taking advantage of the now famous name to pump as many knives out as possible, knowing that most buyers won't know any better.

Quote Originally Posted by panda View Post
    IDK, I mean there is a difference between a knife which is awesome OOTB, but you know it needs to be opened up properly on the stones by someone who really knows what they're doing to be epic and a knife that is just meh as all hell OOTB, yet still costs a small fortune.

I'm not talking about the Takeda's specifically, have no experience with them and am a complete novice when it comes to sharpening as well, just saying as an in general IMHO it's pretty absurd that a knife which cost nearly $300 isn't at least really good OOTB even if it isn't close to it's potential til it's done up for a couple hours to perfect it and bring the most out of it.

Like maybe an M3 isn't on the level of a Ferrari til a Dinan tuner gets their hands on it plus throws an extra 70K into it, but a stock M3 still shouldn't be some complete rough around the edges slopbox that can't compete with a Honda Civic Si. It should still be really really good right off the dealer floor and very enjoyable even if it isn't a complete world beater when it's stock.