Page 16 of 19 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Takeda ....What to look for (now) to keep from getting screwed

Sliced focaccia for croutons with my Takeda today and it worked better than mac bread knife. Smooth like butter and not one crumb left behind..

That's exactly what I have found. I did not want to use a bread knife on my new new cutting board so a few months I have started using my Takeda gyoto and it works great. The bread knife is now been removed from the knife rack.

Quote Originally Posted by aaamax View Post
    That's some dedication and tolerance right there.
    If I spent 4+bones on a knife and had to spend that kind of time to get her running right, i'd hurt someone.
    Again, some are willing to cut him a LOT of slack.
    Don't get me wrong I think people should stop buying his knives until he fixes that. If I knew it is gong to take that much time I was going to return it right away.

Quote Originally Posted by vlad8 View Post
    Don't get me wrong I think people should stop buying his knives until he fixes that. If I knew it is gong to take that much time I was going to return it right away.
    Meh. I just got a stainless clad gyuto that is just fine. I think you're overreacting, to put it mildly.
    “I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.”

I just picked up a very lightly used Takeda 210mm gyuto.

Images of blade and choil are available here: imgur.com/a/EGHHq

What do you think about the geometry given the recent quality control issues?

Quote Originally Posted by cazhpfan View Post

Looking at choil pictures is a poor way to assess a knife, although is does give some information. How does the knife perform?

Does it really matter what we think of the geometry based on a picture? Try it out Cut some stuff and see if you like the way it performs, thats what matters in the end!

Yes, I know that I should cut something and see how it works. Sadly, there was nothing that needed to be cut yesterday.

I was mostly hoping folks would have a look at the geometry and give a broad-strokes assessment based on their experience (this is a popular knife, after all).

The knife is forged very thin throughout, and, even if the shoulders at the top of the secondary bevel are too thick, I guess I could thin it out (like others have done).

Yes, I know that I should cut something and see how it works. Sadly, there was nothing that needed to be cut yesterday.

I was mostly hoping folks would have a look at the geometry and give a broad-strokes assessment based on their experience (this is a popular knife, after all).

The knife is forged very thin throughout, and, even if the shoulders at the top of the secondary bevel are too thick, I guess I could thin it out (like others have done).
    One of the things that makes Takedas geometry different from other knives is a mid blade concavity that assists in food release (at least on those I have). This may cause you to think that there is a thinning issue where there is none. That's why I suggested cutting with it first.

Mine definitely has the mid-blade concavity. I'll report back after I sharpen the blade and put it to use.

Quote Originally Posted by Pensacola Tiger View Post
    One of the things that makes Takedas geometry different from other knives is a mid blade concavity that assists in food release (at least on those I have). This may cause you to think that there is a thinning issue where there is none. That's why I suggested cutting with it first.