Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 LastLast

Thread: Takeda ....What to look for (now) to keep from getting screwed

Good luck, I hope you enjoy your Takeda like I enjoy both of mine

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by erikz View Post
    Good luck, I hope you enjoy your Takeda like I enjoy both of mine

Lightbulb >> Slight example... <<

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Magnus View Post
    Both my takedas had poor grinds or to be honest SH*T grinds. i sent them both back and he regrind them both.
    I tested one of them, the custom, and it was bad... I mean really bad. I see it & hear it in all 3 onions, but really pay attention to third. Watch how it splays the onion on the horizontal slices, and listen to how loud it is as it sounds like it's being pried open. Same on the vertical slices; you'll hear the drag & see how the blade doesnt naturally chop all the way to the board. The shoulders created so much drag, as they wedged into the onions, you had to pay attention to really force it through. Extremely underwhelming... disappointing, at least.

As expected, the AS took a great edge, but it was a bit heavier than I expected:

And here is the size of the original grind:

Last edited by Melampus; 04-12-2014 at 01:43 PM. Reason: <adding a couple pics>
    Embracing the silence amid a life and land full of static...

so even after takeda reground the knife it doesnt perform well? melampus, could you take a choil pic?

I believe this is before the regrind.

Subject: Takeda

CKTG said:

Ever since I started selling them about 4-5 years ago there have been people that love them or hate them. The thing I object to is having a direct competitor and someone that calls himself a knife maker bad mouth him. Pretty low class if you ask me.

I had a customer buy a Takeda recently and then for some inexplicable reason sent it to cry baby for finish sharpening (they don't need it but whatever). Cry baby told him that the knife was defective and he couldn't sharpen it and to return it. I suggested he send the knife to Ken Schwartz to check it out and sharpen it if he thought it was ok. There of course was nothing wrong with the knife and the guy was thrilled with the knife and the sharpening job.

I've had this same experience with about a half dozen customers for a variety of knives.

The blind screwing the blind.

I am LOVING my Watanabe nakiri. I couldn't get though half a carrot or even smoothly cut celery with a Takeda nakiri.

Quote Originally Posted by brianh View Post
    I am LOVING my Watanabe nakiri. I couldn't get though half a carrot or even smoothly cut celery with a Takeda nakiri.

You can't be correct. Please change your story.

So here's a Takeda gyuto that was purchased new and wedged bad OTB. The owner returned the knife to the maker to have him fix it. The before & after are shown in the picture below.

Can you see the difference?

Remember, Takeda has made good knives, to ensure that your retailer is providing you with a good one - ask for pictures!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    The blind screwing the blind.
    I had to laugh at that line from the forum run by a vendor who sells these knives. Let's see how long he keeps his words of taking these knives back if it didn't meet customer's expectations.

+ Reply to Thread