Quantcast
Takeda ....What to look for (now) to keep from getting screwed - Page 18
Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast

Thread: Takeda ....What to look for (now) to keep from getting screwed

Post >> 'Tis the original... <<

LABOR <> MOWG is correct, in that, I tested Mr. Magnus's knife when it was originally fabricated. I was actually the first one to use it, even before he. It has been repaired, and is on it US tour, right now. I'm last to receive it which should be in a little over a month. I'm excited to see MR.M's design perform to its potential.

MR.M did tell me the profile was modified slightly by the regrind whereas the union of the two distinct flat spots was radiused off a bit creating a bit of a belly... if you can call it that in such a small portion of blade. Nonetheless, MR.M's radical design was, admittedly, for shits & giggles. Said radius should, in my mind, employ more usable length in a rock/glide/walk. I can't find the video I captured, but the first profile would pivot off the head of the rear flat spot so if you were walking herbs, e.g., you only had that flat spot minus the pivot point available to cut; the entire tip flat spot was never employed - cutting a 240 down to say a 200. I think MR.M's design would be more appropriate in the 260-280mm range because it was, before the regrind, truly two knives in one blade. It was peculiar as it looked/acted like a KoBocho as the tip flat spot, and then a flat profiled Gyuto as the rear flat spot. I would have liked both flat spots to be longer for them to had acted more efficiently. I didn't realize any particular benefit to the tip flat spot in chopping scenarios as I believe MR.M imagined it would, but again, he did it entirely as an experiment. I think if it was longer maybe it would have, but honestly, the knife was so unenjoyable I didn't want to use it anymore than the 2.5 days I put it through.
    Embracing the silence amid a life and land full of static...

Yeah the shinogi line is abit higher now

Name:  DSC02526.jpg
Views: 108
Size:  16.8 KB
    Name:  DSC02528.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  18.3 KB

I love that handle Magnus!

Well I wasn't going to post this but here goes anyway....

I sharpened a Takeda gyuto today. It has an "S" stamped on the blade, what does this mean...Sasanoha or stainless or ???
    It has the new style short thick bevel. I accepted the job to see how this "S" version would sharpen. I found a couple of interesting & unique things for me to see.

I mentioned the thick bevel already, yeah it was a thick one but not as thick as most I've seen, just way thicker than the old stuff has been. The things that stood out were the angles that the bevels were ground in at and how the knife de-burred.

I've sharpened an assload of Takedas over the years and two constants have always been seen (except for debas)....

The first is that the bevels are always VERY shallow especially on the left side. A guess would be less than 10deg on the right and even less than that on the left. This gyuto had angles about 15 deg on the right and 20+ on the left!!!!! Yes I had to raise the left side so high to hit the edge that it took me 5 times to get it right, I just couldn't believe what I was seeing.

The second thing always noted on Takedas is how easily they take an edge and come up burr free. This particular knife was an absolute ***** to deburr. I've never seen anything even remotely like this on a Takeda.

Maybe the steep thick angle had something to do with the deburring problem, I can't say. I know that I didn't enjoy the experience though.

There's the facts as I see them.

so even the steel is not the same? i got a brand new one not too long ago directly from takeda and it too needed bevels raised and thinned (a lot), but it is super easy to sharpen/deburr.

my advice is for potential buyers: if youre not prepared to do some work or have it sent away to get work done, dont bother with one. easy as that right??

it seems there are knives coming out that aren't completely finished products. that sucks, but it doesnt make the knife a crappy one as i think the view on them has been tainted.

I wouldn't condemn or point fingers from this one knife. For now it's an anomaly.

If I were in the USA, I'd send you mine to look at, even though I think I've got a pretty nice knife.

I got my knife back from Takeda. Wow, what a difference! It cuts like a dream now.

They should do this immediately for every knife that leaves their workshop. It's a bit hard to take choil shots, but I hope you can see the difference.

Before:

After:

Mark, the image 'before' looks more like a cleaver than a gyuto. I did (and do) play with the idea of trying out a Takeda, but I will make sure to have a return option if I were to do so. Did you by any chance measure the thickness of the blade at some closer distance to the edge before you sent it for re-grind?