Quantcast
Takeda ....What to look for (now) to keep from getting screwed - Page 3
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Takeda ....What to look for (now) to keep from getting screwed

i imagine a huge secondary market is about to be created on BST, takedas forged and ground prior to 2011 could become a hot commodity.

You're evil, Dave.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    Here's a couple of old school Takedas...notice how tall the bevels are cut on these knives.
    beauty nakiri and love the red spacers on that petty(?) handle

i bet it's just that takeda-san used to oversee much more of the process and due to demand is now delegating a lot of responsibility to young trainees and not following up properly with some good old QC.

I have a Nakiri custom made from Shosui witch he has forged himself. Its really thin and I havent had any wedging problems when using it, it has the low grind.

Standard knives will probably not be forged by Shosui as he is on the road about 50% of the time visiting shows both domestic and international.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Nguyen View Post
    I tried the one in the passaround a few months ago. It had a short grind line, but it was forged really thin with a slight hollow above the grind. Just a bit of thinning and it would be one hellofaknife I think.
    I too partook in this passaround and agree with your observation.

Such a shame, the one I borrowed belonging to T.B. London was forged very thin towards the edge and the hollow forging was very pronounced , made for a fine cutter, the bevels on T.B.s did not come up as far as you indicate though, I would say 10-12mm? And were close to flat, at a very shallow angle, probably around 7 degrees per side. The edge held up nicely with a little micro bevel. Was in no way a wedge monster. It really fell through stuff i a way that some might want for a bit more feedback and resistance on some tasks even....Has anyone spoken directly to Mr Takeda about this issue?

Quote Originally Posted by WillC View Post
    Such a shame, the one I borrowed belonging to T.B. London was forged very thin towards the edge and the hollow forging was very pronounced , made for a fine cutter, the bevels on T.B.s did not come up as far as you indicate though, I would say 10-12mm? And were close to flat, at a very shallow angle, probably around 7 degrees per side. The edge held up nicely with a little micro bevel. Was in no way a wedge monster. It really fell through stuff i a way that some might want for a bit more feedback and resistance on some tasks even....Has anyone spoken directly to Mr Takeda about this issue?
    I purchased that Takeda in 2009. I agree totally, as a further point, this knife didn't have the thick "shoulders" above the bevel which seems to be the problem now.

Posting my choil shot for reference...not a gyuto, but a nakiri.

Here it is next to my Asai, which is much thicker at the spine, a bit thinner at the edge, and has just as many wedging problems as the Takeda, and much worse sticking:

+ Reply to Thread