Quantcast
Takeda ....What to look for (now) to keep from getting screwed - Page 7
Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Takeda ....What to look for (now) to keep from getting screwed

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    There's now a "Personal Shopper" (originally labeled as "concierge") service available at CKTG where they'll take pictures of these knives for you before you buy them.

Cost = $19.95

From http://www.This Site Not Allowed Her...om/kncose.html

So if you happened to pay for the personal shopper option and still don't get what you want you can always send the knife to this guy who seems pretty proud of himself for taking more money from a CKTG customer instead of helping the customer to get a replacement (good knife) like he originally paid for. Hey it's an option though, eh?

kenneths123 said:

In this video I demonstrate thinning a Takeda Gyuto which the customer felt was too thick for his tastes. Another knife sharpener refused to do the procedure, feeling that he could not do it without messing up the finish. He felt the knife was too thick and should be returned to the maker or vendor who sold the knife to him. The customer asked if I could do something with his knife and this is the result..

.....The Takeda knife was purchased from Mark ******** of This Site Not Allowed Here.com.com

Wait, if I take pictures of handles before I ship them out, to make sure they are what the customer expects, I can take money for that?

Stefan

Quote Originally Posted by apicius9 View Post
    Wait, if I take pictures of handles before I ship them out, to make sure they are what the customer expects, I can take money for that?

Stefan

Yes, at least $19.95 per photo session.

Here's the best option....one that's guaranteed to work....

Buy your Takeda knives from a vendor who knows knives.

Buy from one of KKF's vendors - ToshoKnifeArts

I was quite put off on Takedas lately because of all this "new" grind thing. Since I've seen pics on Tosho's subforum here I got the the AS <3 again. I might finally give Takeda a shot in near future if money permits.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    Here's the best option....one that's guaranteed to work....

Buy your Takeda knives from a vendor who knows knives.

Buy from one of KKF's vendors - ToshoKnifeArts
    Buying one directly from Shosui is also an option. Especially when you have specific requests for grind etc.

Quote Originally Posted by erikz View Post
    Buying one directly from Shosui is also an option. Especially when you have specific requests for grind etc.
    Yeah...but i know someone who didnt get what he asked for either when ordering direct. Some requests could perhaps be lost in translation. Either way, make 100% sure he knows exactly what you want when ordering direct.

Is it fair to say that Takedas were better when people weren't telling him how to make his knives?. Or is simply that QC can no longer meet demand?

Quote Originally Posted by Timthebeaver View Post
    Is it fair to say that Takedas were better when people weren't telling him how to make his knives?. Or is simply that QC can no longer meet demand?
    Well, there was confusion when someone requested a flatter profile gyuto. Which shouldnt really be a big deal because takeda profiles are all over the place already. Just requesting a flatter one didnt seem to work out quite right.

Quote Originally Posted by labor of love View Post
    Well, there was confusion when someone requested a flatter profile gyuto. Which shouldnt really be a big deal because takeda profiles are all over the place already. Just requesting a flatter one didnt seem to work out quite right.
    Way back when, the Takeda was rather unique and had the flattest profile of any gyuto. But people moaned about it and started requesting knives with more belly, and now they seem to be "all over the place" as you put it.

My point was, has listening to a customer base that varies from pros who use knives 10 hours a day, to internet experts who have never made a knife in their life, to those easily led by hype looking for their first knife adversely affected the product over time?

Other makers (e.g. Watanabe) are less accommodating to customer requests. Playing Devil's Advocate, perhaps this is a good thing - if you want a Watanabe, buy a Watanabe - but as the maker intended it to be. It's what he knows/does best - through experience.