Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Masakage Discussion - leading into the Feb Sale

Masakage Discussion - leading into the Feb Sale

Leading into the relatively well known 15% off Masakage Sale starting in February wanted to get a little discussion open for people to ask questions about different lines etc.

Honesuki Yuki vs Kosishi?
    The one knife I think I'm looking for is a Honesuki and was wondering if anyone had experience with either the Yuki (~$100) or the Koishi (~$150) and thoughts.

Also had a generally question around if its ok to use a Honesuki to separate chicken wings/drummettes/tips or if I should be using a heavier butchery knife for that.

Masakage Yamamoto
    Has anyone heard anything about this line? The only knife I can find from this line is a 240mm Deba Gyuto hybrid knife.

Looking forward to the overall discussion =)

Quote Originally Posted by mikedtran View Post
    Also had a generally question around if its ok to use a Honesuki to separate chicken wings/drummettes/tips or if I should be using a heavier butchery knife for that.
    I use my Misono Swedish Steel honesuki to pop joints, and cut thru bones such as the backbone (?) holding the two thighs together. Sometimes a larger bird I'll use my yo-deba from the same line. Both are relatively thick and only about 61hrc IIRC so haven't had any problems so far.

Which vendors will be offering the discounted lines?

I ask as it's my belief some will not be discounted their current inventory

Quote Originally Posted by bonestter View Post
    Which vendors will be offering the discounted lines?

I ask as it's my belief some will not be discounted their current inventory
    This is the knifewear only sale I believe, maybe it isn't as well known as I thought

It's going to be known now ;-) Another vendor has expressed that he will not be having a Feb. Masakage sale. So if your after a Masakage knife you better act quickly on the 1st.

What is the main differences between the various lines (Yuki, Koishi, Shimo, Mizu, Kiri, Kumo, etc)? I should ask in terms of performance and edge retention, etc.

I have a Yuki bunka that I use as a line knife. I got a koishi gyuto but didn't like it so much so I sold it. Got em from knifewear. I think the Yuki honesuki would be a solid choice

Mizu are very easy to maintain but the finish can vanish really fast and then they get rusty a loooooot
    Koishi have an incredible edge retention and good cut properties, I own a gyuto 240 and I love it.
    Yuki are really thin behind the edge, w #2 I belive, stainless, crazy sharp, just doesn't hold it so long like the koishi.

Never tried a shimo but I will buy one my self together with the kujira. 😄

Yuki is definitely easy to maintain, it is a really fun knife to sharpen and thin.
    Shimo is known for having fantastic grinds, but the cladding is supposedly very reactive.

I might go with the Koishi Honesuki purely because it alone meets the $200 CAD requirement for free shipping. If anyone else has compared Yuki vs. Koishi let me know =)

I own a Koishi honesuki. It is a fine knife - well made and and good for its intended purpose. It is, however, not a single bevel construction as honesukis traditionally are.

I have owned a few other Masakage knives and I have generally been very disappointed. I have had two koishi gyutos. They were bend and very bad cutters and I send them both back. I have a 180 yuki gyuto. I have thinned it a lot as it was very thin behind the edge. So I have to say that I´m not a fan despite that I think I gave the knives a fair chance.
    - Kim

^ When you say 'very bad cutters' in what way did they not perform for you?