Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Thread: Need Translation Help

Need Translation Help

Need some translation help with this Kanji. It's not very clear, but hoping someone can make something out of it.

Much appreciated!

S&D

That's a tough one. I would "guess" Geizoku Anami Saku. I could be way off on the first part as I'm pretty certain the first two characters are no longer in use. Seeing that the Mei is on the Nakago and there is a Menuki Ana. I would recommend asking on
    the Nihonto message board or the Japanese Sword Forum.

Thanks man, I will follow up on that forum.

藝嘱阿波作

Amending my previous, it would guess it would be read Geishoku Awa.
    藝 is a old form of 芸 gei meaning "arts". 嘱 read shoku means several things, but "commissioned" is one meaning.
    Awa 阿波 refers to 阿波国 Awa no Kuni, today's present Tokushima Prefecture on the island of Shikoku.
    But the characters do not form anyone's name.

Rotating 90 degrees to the right, adjusting blightness....
    I think I see "大連" on the right and there can be some other characters on the above out of the picture.
    But, just what is it?
    "many people need more knowledge and less judgement"

大連 is read Dairen (in Japanese)....or Dalian a city in Liaoning Province, China .
    If this is a real gunto it may have been made at Hagakure Tokenten (Hagakure sword shop) in Dalian, China prior to or during WWII. But if so the Mei would be fake, etched in later referring to Awa no Kuni, Japan.

Thanks amended information guys.

@no_one_just_Roy This is a blade I purchased for restoration. When it arrives in the mail I can get clearer pictures of the characters.

@KenHash I don't know if the kanji is faked. Japanese swords are not my specialty. This is something I took a chance on and if it's fake it won't break my bank. I took your advice and joined the Nihonto message board but I'm still waiting for admission from the administrators. We'll see what they have to say. Thanks for your help.