Quantcast
Takeda ....What to look for (now) to keep from getting screwed
Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Takeda ....What to look for (now) to keep from getting screwed

Takeda ....What to look for (now) to keep from getting screwed

Takeda used to make really thin knives that cut great. Now they're leaving the area above the edge really extra thick making for wedgie-monsters. They need to go back to grinding them as they used to but in the meantime new buyers are coming along and getting screwed by these new bad grinds.

Below shows a brand new never used or sharpened 240mm Takeda gyuto.

You can see where Takeda removed steel and I marked in where they need to grind up to, where they used to grind up to, you can see the difference.

I tried to get a choil shot but had no luck in clarity.

I screwed up and forgot to measure the thickness but my guess is that the area above the cutting edge is nearly as thick as (or maybe even thicker than) the spine.

Anyway, should you be thinking about buying a Takeda I would advise that you request of the retailer to take a picture of the actual knife you're considering buying (not a stock photo) and verify which grind it has before you get stuck with a lemon.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Thick_Fat_Takeda_Bad5.JPG 
Views:	259 
Size:	598.0 KB 
ID:	21483

Wow, I bet that knife cuts horribly.

I messaged Shosui Takeda about this, and unfortunately, he didn't seem too concerned.
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by EdipisReks View Post
    Wow, I bet that knife cuts horribly.
    Like an old Rosseli. The difference between the old and new production grinds is astronomical.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

In other words dont buy one if you are not proficient in reshaping knives..

I wonder if anyone's got a pic of an older grind nakiri that I can compare to. Every pic I've seen has been similar to mine, though some are much thicker and my knife is very thin. I just cut up an ogre carrot, maybe 5-6cm thick, and while mine wedged a bit when making thick cuts (My Itinomon gyuto and Harner petty did noticeably better), the Takeda was magical at the thinner slices (<1mm to 3mm) with no sticking.

I'm a little conflicted about it, but it seems almost like a double-ground ultralight usuba.

If you're cutting only items less than a centimeter tall, the new grind should suffice....
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

ironically, i just ended up having to fix one of these today... it was a new stainless clad one.

Dave: when you refer to the "old grind" how long ago are you referring to? I have an unused 240 purchased in 2011, and out of curiousity just looked at it. The grind is slightly higher than the one in your photo, but nowhere near as high as your line?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Dave: when you refer to the "old grind" how long ago are you referring to? I have an unused 240 purchased in 2011, and out of curiousity just looked at it. The grind is slightly higher than the one in your photo, but nowhere near as high as your line?

I'd guess that I started noticing this problem in 2012 but again that's just a guess.