Quantcast
Takeda ....What to look for (now) to keep from getting screwed - Page 2
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Takeda ....What to look for (now) to keep from getting screwed

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/7..._4783Large.jpg

Not my pic, but it's from a KF thread dated 2007. Looks like he's been doing this a while.

Here's a couple of old school Takedas...notice how tall the bevels are cut on these knives.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010006.JPG 
Views:	150 
Size:	390.0 KB 
ID:	21485  

One of the first, maybe even THE first Takeda gyutos seen in the USA....Louisinacook Lee's 240mm gyuto...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010049.JPG 
Views:	135 
Size:	92.6 KB 
ID:	21486  

Do you think he's pushed it down for the aesthetics more Ku finish on the blade?

I tried the one in the passaround a few months ago. It had a short grind line, but it was forged really thin with a slight hollow above the grind. Just a bit of thinning and it would be one hellofaknife I think.

Quote Originally Posted by JHunter View Post
    Do you think he's pushed it down for the aesthetics more Ku finish on the blade?
    My uneducated guess would be that it takes more time and experience with the old grind

Quote Originally Posted by JHunter View Post
    I couldn't say.

The issue here, however, is not that of the height of the bevel being incorrect - this is just a symptom - the issue is that the knife is too thick above the bevel which requires more steel to be removed to correct. If the knife was hammered thinner to begin with then the tall bevel grind wouldn't be necessary.

So if he wants a small looking bevel he would need to make a thin knife.

So cost and time savings to keep up with increased demand?

My guess is that the guy forging isn't pushing himself the way Shosui does when he forges. The knives are well forged but 1/2"-1" above the edge remains VERY thick which tells me that someone doesn't want to take chances. Then again, maybe the guy grinding in the bevel is holding back on really laying the knife down on the wheel, doesn't want to mess up the pretty KU finish or blow the edge out.

Oh wait.....this explains it...they got a new guy on the hammer.....looks like he got his hair singed off in the forge...well except for that little horned tuft up on top.

PS - sorry for the detraction, I found this when searching for Takeda pics and just couldn't help myself.