Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Takeda ....What to look for (now) to keep from getting screwed

i recently got a new one too and while the bevels weren't wide (needed thinning), the forging was still how it's supposed to be (caved in). i would have been pretty upset had it been just flat all the way down like a moritaka which defeats the purpose of paying more for a takeda.

I think people have to stop buying his knives and he will get the message. The problem is all the great reviews out there that mislead people.

Quote Originally Posted by vlad8 View Post
    I think people have to stop buying his knives and he will get the message. The problem is all the great reviews out there that mislead people.
    Honestly I ordered a custom Nakiri from Takeda and its almost laser thin and caved in above the edge. The distal taper is also as I'd expect it to be.

Some comments in this thread are a bit harsh if you ask me. Contact the guy and talk to him, hes a pretty open guy.

Quote Originally Posted by erikz View Post
    Honestly I ordered a custom Nakiri from Takeda and its almost laser thin and caved in above the edge. The distal taper is also as I'd expect it to be.

Some comments in this thread are a bit harsh if you ask me. Contact the guy and talk to him, hes a pretty open guy.
    Any chance I could get a choil shot from yours? I posted mine earlier in the thread but haven't really seen many others. Would really love to compare.

Ill try to make a few shots this weekend, in between work and 2 whisky tastings.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    ...should you be thinking about buying a Takeda I would advise that you request of the retailer to take a picture of the actual knife you're considering buying (not a stock photo) and verify which grind it has before you get stuck with a lemon.

I still say, should you be shopping for one of his knives, that it's currently worth your time to ask your retailer for pictures of the knife that you'll be buying prior to securing it. This will drive your retailer crazy but it will ensure that you get what you want and also show you the level of commitment that the retailer has to their products, their craftsman, and their customers.

There's now a "Personal Shopper" (originally labeled as "concierge") service available at CKTG where they'll take pictures of these knives for you before you buy them.

Cost = $19.95

From http://www.This Site Not Allowed Her...om/kncose.html
    This service will give you the ability to select your knife from at least 3 that we have in stock (if there are that many available). We will give you 3 or more to choose from with photos of both sides of the knife as well as a spine shot and will also provide you with accurate specs for each knife so you can make a more informed choice. We will also inspect each knife and point out any minor flaws as well as recommend the knife we think is best of the bunch.
    Many of our knives are hand made by small blacksmith shops and some customers have specific requirements and preferences so we hope this service will help you get the knife you want in a similar way as possible to the experience you would have if you were standing in our shop selecting a knife in person.

Bargain.

sorry but paying 20 bucks seems like BS to me. knife wear was more than happy to take pics of the takeda profiles they had in stock and email them to me a while back when i was shopping around for the "right" takeda for me. they would probably take choil shot pics too if you ask. if a supplier has time to answer your questions over the phone for a few minutes then i dont see why they wouldnt snap off a couple of pics of some inventory, especially considering how inconsistent takeda is with their profiles and grinds. the personal shopper fee has a photo of a takeda next to it, i guess he gets these requests alot for takeda.

And for only $5.99 more they'll add "copious bubble wrap" and "expert packing" to ensure your knife arrives "mostly damage free."

I wonder if I can use this service for the empty stone box