Quantcast
Takeda ....What to look for (now) to keep from getting screwed - Page 15
Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Takeda ....What to look for (now) to keep from getting screwed

Here are the choil shots that i forgot to post last night of the straight out of the box takeda nakiri.

http://imgur.com/a/ETRdx

Quote Originally Posted by ccarney2 View Post
    Here are the choil shots that i forgot to post last night of the straight out of the box takeda nakiri.

http://imgur.com/a/ETRdx
    Looks nice, i can see why you enjoy using it.

jake, i still don't know what that means, i pretty much failed latin in HS lol.

ccarney2 - yours looks great, keep on enjoying it without caution! eventually, you will have to thin both sides. i recommend you thin lightly every sharpening session. when i have a knife performing the way i want, i keep doing light thinning starting on a 600 stone. some will argue that's unnecessary removal of metal, but that's their take, i like doing it this way, means i won't have to do major work later on.

Always remove some of the secondary bevel to keep to profile as the maker intended. You wont be able to maintain the intended edge if you dont do so.

I agree with this thread, my Takeda 270 mm Gyuto came with a wedger just 2 cm behind the edge and then was concave in the middle of the blade and tapered nicely towards the spine after. Some thinning later and she's a beaut but it took some time.

Quote Originally Posted by erikz View Post
    Always remove some of the secondary bevel to keep to profile as the maker intended. .
    I think you mean geometry instead of profile, right?

My experiences with takada was that it was wedging really bad when i got it. After 10 hours on the stones it performs great. it just slides though anything. Now the strip without the finish is much wider and it stains a lot.
    It sharpens really fast and it has very good edge retention.

Quote Originally Posted by labor of love View Post
    I think you mean geometry instead of profile, right?
    True, sorry for mixing stuff up.

Quote Originally Posted by vlad8 View Post
    After 10 hours on the stones it performs great.
    That's some dedication and tolerance right there.
    If I spent 4+bones on a knife and had to spend that kind of time to get her running right, i'd hurt someone.
    Again, some are willing to cut him a LOT of slack.
    Long live Carbon!!

I recently bought a Takeda folding Higo and I was surprised to find it was scandi ground cut beautifully .As for the spate of thicker Takedas ( I would love one -perhaps nest year) I do not own one I did buy a 7" Honyaki Usuba - Takagi which I felt was a bit broad on the beam which I have thinned down( since it is an Honyaki I hardly change possible +5˚ the angle at the bevel and since my original raising the original Shinogi line I now sharpen from that line each time maintaining the new geometry.
    I enjoy making my knives fit my needs I have a Seki cut Yangiba and i have thinned it down from the Shinogi a couple of times I think to a certain extent if you want the best ideally you need to know how to sharpen and thin it .
    I bought one knife with Hap 40 steel bevel and I needed to sharpen it immediately it was hardly cutting through a pepper skin.
    Perhaps part of the deal of leaving Takedas thick is so that it allows for personal edge preferences some may favour an asymmetric bevel 70-30 or more radical this thick edge gives the owner a choice thin it symmetrically or put an asymmetric bevel on it . I like the idea of having some surplus steel to deal with and I guess it accommodates less disciplined use of it.
    If I wanted a bog standard out the box knife i would buy a Kai Shun - I do have one which was my first Japanese knife but I much prefer the knives I have worked on to the Shun .