Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A leather Sheath - A New Project

A leather Sheath - A New Project

As some of you might know, I took on more space for a leather workshop. The renovation is finally done and I used the workshop for the first time yesterday.

I made a prototype sheath to test the processes (gluing, marking with my logo, burnishing edges, staining leather, etc) and to come up with a set of steps and design features that I like.

I think I have accomplished what I attempted and met my modest expectations, though there are still things to be learned and experimented before I am comfortable to offer a leather sheath as a product.

Making a leather sheath is more efficient than making one out of wood, and that is a big plus for me, as as of today, I am back to a one-man operation. Moreover, it is much easier for me to match a color on a sheath to a color of the handle. The fit is perfect, the design will feature a latch to keep the knife securely inside and the protection is no different than in a wooden sheath. Eventually, I will include leather sheaths with all my knives, from petties to scimitars. A well made leather sheath can look pretty stunning, as you will eventually attest.

I am taking one step at a time, but I like to think how every product I make fits in a family of products related to knives that I would like to offer. Once I get the sheath project going, I will start on a leather knife roll.

Developing a line of products doesn't imply that I lose my focus on the kitchen knives, quite on the contrary, the idea is to enhance the enjoyment of using quality kitchen knives - sharpening, maintaining, storing, protecting, moving around. That is what this is all about. Knives have been and will remain my main focus - I will continue looking for ways to improve and to maximize performance be it adopting new steels, developing new heat treatment methods, adopting new technologies, etc.

Will post pictures as I move along with the project.

Thanks,

Marko

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20140109_174356_resized.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	29.1 KB 
ID:	21484

"All beauty that has no foundation in use, soon grows distasteful and needs continuous replacement with something new." The Shakers' saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Sorry to hear you lost your help. These sheaths are going to be very nice. The practice one you posted yesterday looked pretty dang good.

You're going to do some amazing things, Marko. Keep doing what you do.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Maybe my job can direct deposit my check into your bank account from now on. A knife roll! I want #1

That leather sheath is a blank canvas just dying for some good tooling. I love the idea of you getting into leather sheaths Marko, look into the tooling that Paul Long does for some additional inspiration.
    Twitter: @PeterDaEater

Quote Originally Posted by stereo.pete View Post
    That leather sheath is a blank canvas just dying for some good tooling. I love the idea of you getting into leather sheaths Marko, look into the tooling that Paul Long does for some additional inspiration.
    Paul makes it look easy, take it from someone that knows it's a skill that takes time to develop and regardless of skill is extremely time-consuming. I have all of Paul's videos and have met with him at a few conventions he's a great guy and in my opinion one of the best leatherworkers ever!

They look practical and durable. No doubt if you made them , they'll work well. Just have to decide how many knives are getting leather sayas when you're ready Marko.

I have heard that with leather sheath working it is possible to do the sheath without the knife in hand. A perfect stencil mailed in card board can often suffice. As a generalization would you be willing to do so? I have such a hard time sending blades away and so many in need of sayas. 😏

Quote Originally Posted by hambone.johnson View Post
    I have heard that with leather sheath working it is possible to do the sheath without the knife in hand. A perfect stencil mailed in card board can often suffice. As a generalization would you be willing to do so? I have such a hard time sending blades away and so many in need of sayas. 😏
    That was one of the reasons to offer leather sheath. Right now I am not taking any new custom work orders, but in the near future, as I get more comfortable with working leather, I will offer some custom sheaths.

Marko

"All beauty that has no foundation in use, soon grows distasteful and needs continuous replacement with something new." The Shakers' saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Very cool. Looking forward to the project coming full circle