Quantcast
A leather Sheath - A New Project - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A leather Sheath - A New Project

I am getting leather samples from several leather suppliers, and after that I will be ordering some leather. For now there will be 4-5 color options. The production saya will feature a strap with a snap to keep the knife securely inside. Contrast stitching is optional - I will also offer stitching to match the color of the leather.

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

Received leather samples from a couple of vendors. Beautiful stuff. The quality and stiffness is excellent. Really look forward to work on it.

I think I will be ordering colors to match wood I offer. For example, chocolate brown will match cocobolo, black - ziricote, ebony, natural leather - maple. There seem to be enough colors to chose from to get a pretty good match. Contrasting stitching should look really nice.

In the near future, I aim at offering sayas with all my knives, with leather sheaths for Western handles knives, and wooden for wa.

Folks have been a little slow embracing leather, but I assure you - this stuff is really good. It looks good and protects knives just as good as wooden sheaths.

M

I received the Western with the leather saya- looks even better in person. I like the cognac color but ended up oiling the leather so it is a chocolate brown since I figured it would end up with oil on it from use anyway.

Some red dye can off the edge of the saya; I'm still trying to get the red off my hand- might be a problem with a white chef's coat?

Don't know why I haven't seen this thread till now but the sheaths look awesome. Ever consider putting a little strap with a button on it as an extra safety? I think it would look cool and give it that, gun out of a holster feel.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

Quote Originally Posted by ThEoRy View Post
    Don't know why I haven't seen this thread till now but the sheaths look awesome. Ever consider putting a little strap with a button on it as an extra safety? I think it would look cool and give it that, gun out of a holster feel.
    Yes, the production sheaths will feature leather straps with a snap. This was a prototype to figure out the process.

Quote Originally Posted by evanjohnson View Post

Some red dye can off the edge of the saya; I'm still trying to get the red off my hand- might be a problem with a white chef's coat?
    The dye came off as it wasn't meant to be used for leather, but for wood (water based), so that's the reason (among a few other details) that the saya was free of charge. I made it mostly to figure out how to burnish the edges and the dye had to be applied before burnishing, so I used the one I had for wood. For the production pieces, I will use professional leather dye that is alcohol based.

Marko

Not a problem- the saya protects very well. It was after I washed my hands and handled the saya that the dye came off on my hands. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    I will use professional leather dye that is alcohol based.

Marko
    Oil based my friend. Tandy Seles this stuff now but I haven't tried it.
    http://www.tandyleatherfactory.com/en-usd/2810-550.aspx
    Burnishing ink is what a lot of pro's use.
    http://www.panhandleleather.com/Sellari_c43.htm
    The old guys always say
    Quote Originally Posted by The old guys at leather worker.com
    Edge Kote is what you use if you are too lazy to burnish with gum tragacanth
    The real trick lies in sealing the edge afterwards. I use this product to seal the whole sheath including burnished finished edge( the way Paul long showed me)
    http://www.panhandleleather.com/LCi-...ART-LCI-02.htm

But a mix of bees wax and mink oil applied when the leather is still hot after from burnishing is also very popular and what I do if you're/ I'm not going to seal the hole sheath. Basically I use a belt sander with a 220 grit and work down to 800 grit belt. gum tragacanth can then be used after this ( but I never found it necessary) with a wood (hard wood, not oak) or a brass Rod running fast in a drill press so it gets hot and "burns/ burnishes the edge. Durning the the final burnishing the wax/mink oil ( neatsfoot oil would also work) is used to seal the final edge. If Dye was used nothing will rub off after sealing it this way and sealing in this way provides the smoothest shiniest edge possible. the wax/ oil mix comes out looking like a bar of buffing compound, hard enough to hold but soft enough to melt easily. A cup of oil to a lb of wax will make a life times worth.

Also note if you buy fully die leather like the stuff I told you about from wickett-craig then edge dying becomes unnecessary ( because the dye goes all the way threw. but burnishing and sealing still is.

Hope this helps, if not you know how to get in touch with me.