TK-set of Mac's

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickgrant604

Reaction score
I am considering purchasing the TK set, I like the look of them plus there are two other guys in my kitchen considering purchasing a few of the pro series and it would be nice to have a knife that is distinguishably different from theirs one of which is not the most careful of people. My question is after running the prices, at 900$ I know I am paying extra for the box, the "limited" run what ever that means. Whatever the case, my question is the white handle is it comparable to the pakka wood? better worse? anyone know? the site says it's similar to corian something I am not familiar with, and do Mac's come with edge guards?

heres a link if anybody wants to look at the set.http://store.tkrg.com/products/thomas-keller-limited-edition-mac-knife-set
thats like the first knife"set" ive seen that actually makes alot of sense functionally. i like the mac pro series a whole lot, infact i think their handles are some of the most comfortable western handles ive ever used. do you have any idea how much money you would save if you just bought your knives from the regular line?

Nick, I'm with labor of love on this one. It's a nice set, and actualy has a great line up of knives, but check the price against the regular ones. If you are sold on Macs, you can always buy the blac ones, and do what a lot of us do, and throw a rubber band around the butt of your handle to distinguish whose is whose.

Macs are nice knives, but you coul also explore other options...for example, if you love the white handles, check out about ten items down on this page: http://www.japanesechefsknife.com/specials.html . You'll see some really nice Hattori knives with beautiful corian handles. The "Hattori Forum" knives are very good, and I think you'd save yourself about $150, give or take.

One other option is to see if you can find an excuse to go three hours to Kelowna and go snowboarding/shopping at knifewear. There you'll get hands on with some stuff and you'll be able to find out what some more options might be.

Or, you could always buy one knife at a time... Or that set, because i'll admit, I'd rock it gladly....

yeah, you could individually buy all those knives from the mac pro line for under $600. i dont think the handle upgrade and the box is worth an additional $300. hopefully someone thats actually tried the white handle tk macs can chime in eventually.

Everyone knows I love Mac. Mac lead me down the rabbit hole. And Keller is da man. I want to give you a good reason to not do this, but heck...

Ok, ok...I'm disappointed they are including the silly $15 ceramic rod in this thousand dollar set, and not the mac black, which is highly regarded as one of the best.

Hard to see the appeal vs. the standard Mac Pro, which don't have a plastic handle or as many cheap looking, gawdy logos.

Don't buy that set. Especially not for work. Save the $$$ and get some reg Macs. The spirit of TK isn't forged into the knives.

I recommend Mac pros to many people that ask me. But in this case I don't think you would want knives that are "different" then your co workers. It's my understanding that items that stand out tend to be the first to grow legs and disappear. I would just buy the regular line, but in the end it's not my money. Another thing is I would like the bread knife to be an inch longer (270mm) but again that's a personal preference.

Over all it's a well thought out set (something that is very rare to find). Most have useless knives or awkward lengths.

you could also come into the city and check out Santoku Office a small knife shop in Yaletown. Not a huge selection but some nice stuff and a chance to handle the knife which is always a plus.

those knives are lookers but I can't understand why theres so much ink on them. all that etching takes away from them.

alright thanks for the input! i like the look of the white handle but it's that price jump that bothers me, the honing rod as well, I think i will just buy the knives individually and try and pick up a longer bread knife. I may try and make it down to santoku office here in the near future! Kewlona might be an option as well!

alright thanks for the input! i like the look of the white handle but it's that price jump that bothers me, the honing rod as well, I think i will just buy the knives individually and try and pick up a longer bread knife. I may try and make it down to santoku office here in the near future! Kewlona might be an option as well!

Honestly there are a lot of knives that outperform MACs. Look around a bit.

Honestly there are a lot of knives that outperform MACs. Look around a bit.

at that price point i was looking into masamoto and misono but after reading some reviews it seemed that mac was preffered by the majority of people...not sure if there are other knives i should look at but it seems like the more knives you bring into the equation the more the waters get muddied with different views and perspectives.

i think the mac pro line is priced pretty fairly for what it. sure you could buy a similar gyuto for $20-30 less but macs are pretty good work knives and are comfortable to use.

Back