Your favorite brick and mortar

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ferris

Reaction score
I am travelling across the USA for 6 months in my RV visiting breweries, but am also a bit of a blade geek. I am looking for any outstanding brick and mortar shops to visit along the way. Any favorites?

I can't help you with any brick and mortar recommendations (with the exception of Korin and Epicurean Edge), but am curious what breweries are on your list!

Japanese knife imports for sure. Had a chance to visit for the first time over the holidays and had a GREAT time.

Held all the knives I wanted to, chatted with Jon about all of my questions. Got to try out stones. He even did an impromptu sharpening theory demo for a man who was in there while I was. He even had some cool stuff not on his site.

I would recommend his store to anyone.

Jon is a great guy, and I had a blast while I was there.

Mowgs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh heck, if you are passing through Lexington KY skip the brewery and go for the distillery. Woodford reserve (bourbon) has a fantastic tour, http://www.woodfordreserve.com/Distillery/DistilleryTour.

If you must do the brewery, then try Kentucky Ale, they make a great brew called "Kentucky Bourbon Barrel Ale" (notice the theme), http://www.kentuckyale.com/tours.

I can't help with knife shops, no first hand experience. However, I hear that Japanese Knife Imports is a great place. :wink:

If you make it to San Francisco check out Bernal Cutlery in the Mission District. Great selection and Josh has a wide knowledge of knives and is eager to share that with his customers!!

I can't help you with any brick and mortar recommendations (with the exception of Korin and Epicurean Edge), but am curious what breweries are on your list!

Too many to list, but in Cal I am going to Lost Coast, Pelican, Firestone Walker, Lagunitas and Russian River. Always available to share a pint if anyone is interested.

If you are in the catskills warren kitchen and cutlery is amazing. Here in DC there is DC edge which is pretty cool and is in a larger food market called union market which is worth seeing. Also bernal cutlery in San Francisco. Phoenix knife house in AZ. Murray Carter is doing open houses as well. He's in Oregon where there are lots of great breweries.

Too many to list, but in Cal I am going to Lost Coast, Pelican, Firestone Walker, Lagunitas and Russian River. Always available to share a pint if anyone is interested.

Will you be here for the release of "Pliny the Younger" in February? Looks like the window is February 7th - 20th. I've never had it, but am planning to make it happen this year.

Will you be here for the release of "Pliny the Younger" in February? Looks like the window is February 7th - 20th. I've never had it, but am planning to make it happen this year.

I did it a few years ago, I am off to another big beer geek gathering in North Carolina during the first week of Feb so will miss it this year. Do it if you have the chance, it is absolute chaos and crazy fun. Just get there very early.

Back