Quantcast
The Kitchen Table--Chopping Block Project
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Kitchen Table--Chopping Block Project

The Kitchen Table--Chopping Block Project

I've just gotten most of the way through with a project that I've had in mind for a number of years, and finally got around to doing something about. The history behind the project: My grandfather owned and operated a creamery and butcher shop in Rock Hill, SC. He sold it sometime around the time I was born(my memories are of going in there when he no longer owned it, to get scraps to go slop his hogs with), and we ended up with a number of the things from the business: Milk cans, a Multi mixer milkshake mixer, and a butcher table top. The table top spent years propped up against the wall. I've finally gotten around to getting it put into service.
    The recent thread on cutting boards prompted part of this, Salty's board held together with rods rather than glue. This board is made the same way, edge grain maple, no glue. At first it had a large bow in it, about 4 inches in the middle. Gravity and a bit of moisture has helped to take care of that.
    Right before new years, a friend of my sister's gave me a desk to use as the base for the cutting board.

The first couple of pictures will show a bit of the dryness and dirtiness of the board. The board and the desk both got washed down with Murphy's Oil soap, and then wiped down with a heavy coat of warm mineral oil.

During cleaning:

First side clean, halfway through its coat of oil:

Oh, one thing I left out: the dimensions of the board: 44X 72. So just under 4x6 feet. Lots of real estate here. For reference, the Boardsmith walnut board that lives on one end is an 18x24x3, a veritable tabletop in its own right, but it doesn't look very big sitting on top.

Beautiful! I love re-claimed projects.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

One of the things I find really interesting about this top are the wear areas on it. There were obviously 2 stations used at this board, a diagonal corners. If you flip over the board, you still have the same wear areas on the other side. Obviously, from time to time they would sand out the cut/worn areas. Photos below show the depth:

In another week or so, I'll give it a coat of a thin board butter mixture. But for now, I'm really enjoying having the drawers under the top, great place for my sharpening stuff. Keeps it out of the way, but easily close at hand.

Reed

Too cool Reed!
    That Rader is HOT

That is super cool. Strong work.

k.
    "There's only one thing I hate more than lying…skim milk, which is water that's lying about being milk." -- Ron Swanson

That's awesome! I love the Rader, too.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

I love projects like these. One of these days...
    But nice work!

Beautiful table / beautiful knives! It's amazing how you can refurbish an old table top like that and when you look at it, it makes you feel comfortable, and familiar, and warm all at the same time. Very cool...